Convinced

"How long would you be gone?" My dad asks.
"A week."
My parents go quiet. We're in the middle of a deep conversation pertaining to the trip to Florida. They've asked me a million questions already, and I'm not surprised. It's a pretty serious thing.
Two days ago was Diesel's birthday. Since then he has told me that his brother is coming along with him. I would hope so since it's his professor anyway. Garret would also be our 'guardian' since he's twenty. I'm not sure if that's old enough for my parents though. They really like Garret and they have met Diesel's parents too, but according to Mom and Dad, Garret is still classified as a 'college alumni'. Meaning that he is still young.
I remember asking Diesel how they would convince his parents to let them go to Florida. They have no idea that neither him nor Garret are shifters. The whole point of the trip is to meet a professor who knows information about shifters. Diesel explained to me that he told his parents that he was interested in his brother's college and wanted to visit it. It was a good excuse and reason to visit.
"Are you sure about meeting this professor man?" My mom asks me.
I nod, "Yeah, Garret knows him very well. He's trustworthy if Garret trusts him."
By the way, they know Garret is a shifter as well. They found out not too long after they discovered that Diesel shared my ability. You should have been there when Diesel and I told my parents that Diesel was a shifter. It was the most shocked expression I had ever seen on their faces.
My parents exchange a glance. I can tell that they're still deciding on whether to let me go or not.
"Are you sure you can drive that far by yourself?" My mom goes on.
I nod in response, but then a small voice behind me speaks, "I should be allowed to go too. I'm not the only shifter in the Davis family."
I turn toward Felicity. It never occurred to me that she might want to come along, and she also has a point to her argument. She has just as much of a right to go on this trip as I do.
My parents then go back into silence as they think things over. Felicity and I stare at them as they begin to whisper back and forth. Of course, our excellent hearing can easily hear their conversation, but we do our best to not eavesdrop.
The plan was to let me drive my Toyota while Diesel and Garret drove separately. This was incase I had to come back home for some emergency reason. It will be better if Felicity is in the car with me. I won't have to be in a car by myself for eleven to twelve hours. Believe me, I won't make any overnight stops either. I require just three hours of sleep. Do you think I'm going to rent a room on the way to my destination when I can make it there in one single drive? No.
Finally, after a long moment, my dad tells us, "We'll allow you to go. Both of you."
Our faces light up with joy, but my dad intercedes us before we can go any further, "We'll be needing a call from you every day. Felicity, you will listen to what your sister tells you, okay? Olivia, we are expecting you to be responsible for yourself and your baby sister."

__________________

Dust floats up around me as I land near Diesel. My griffin wings fold against my body as trot over to him.
Before he can even open his mouth, I announce excitedly, "They're letting me go. I don't know how I convinced them, but they're actually letting me go. Plus, Felicity too."
The black pegacorn smiles back, "The more the merrier."
The moonlight sparkles in Diesel's dark eyes when he grins. His pearl white fangs contrast against his dark color. He can camouflage himself in the night without any trouble. It makes me wonder if it was always meant for us to be night creatures. He blends into shadows. I have energy to keep me awake.
"So we'll be leaving next Monday, right? At what time?"
Diesel replies, "My brother and I will be leaving at six that morning. It means I won't be able to come out the night before though."
"That's no problem. It wouldn't make sense for me to expect you to be out that night and then get up at the crack of dawn."
Diesel brightens back up, "Hopefully, we will all be there by six or seven that night."
The conversation goes on some more, but we move to other topics soon. Eventually, we open our wings and rise into the midnight sky.
Even in June, it's a little nippy when you're high in the atmosphere. The only warmth provided is by the updrafts that send us up higher into the clouds.
I steal a few glances toward Diesel. His wide, feathered wings are spread out at each side. They gently flap every so often to keep him steady. The wind blows back his coal colored mane. The long spiral horn on his forehead moves along with each movement of his head. I abruptly look away when he glances toward me.
Far beneath us is our hometown of Mellark. Quiet, rustic, and safe. It seems like forever ago when we had our conflict with Takolize, but that was just a few weeks back. Not too long ago when you considered it.
My parents still have no idea that I took part in the crazy stunt of abolishing the criminal from Mellark. I may have said that already, but I have to constantly remind myself to not talk about it around Mom and Dad.
Somehow my destiny played into the fact that I stopped that man from what he was doing. The one thing I worry about most is... will that be my last conflict or does my destiny hold more dangerous threats?