Gone

Literally, the first thing that I do is sit straight up in bed. The sun is shinning in through the glass doors of the small balcony.

I stayed up most of last night. Since I don't sleep much in the first place and I can't be in griffin mode around here, I ended up Snapchatting people until they fell asleep.

Notice how I said they.

It's seven thirty. For me that's the normal time I wake up in the summer. Unfortunately, that is not when my sister wakes up.

With a smile, I bounce out of bed and head straight to the Keurig that sits on the table. The hotel has left some complementary K-cups. Styrofoam cups are also stacked nearby. I then add some water and place a K-cup in the Keurig.

As the coffee is being made, I go over to my sister's bed and yank the pillow out from under her head. She groans and turns over to the other side.

"Felicity, we're at the beach, remember?"

That's all I need to say for her to get up. My sister's expression takes on a new composure.

I quickly say, "We need to get the most out of our day by going to the beach early."

She crawls out of bed and toward the Keurig, "I agree, but it's still a bit early, Olivia. By the way, thanks for the coffee."

Um... I was going to drink that, but I guess I really don't need it anyway.

I watch my ten year old sister chug the coffee like its nothing. An uneasy feeling fills me as I start to wonder if I should be letting the tween drink the stuff.

I grimace at the thought before turning around. My travel bag lies between the bed and the wall. I head around the bed and get down on my knees so that I can rumage through the already bedraggled mess of clothes. Eventually I find what I'm looking for.

As I begin to stand up, I turn to my right and come face to face with a white puma. My head jerks back, and I accidentally bang my head against the wall behind me.

"What are you doing, Felicity?" I growl as I rub the back of my skull.

The white pumagriff flaps its wings and jumps off of the bed. A thump sounds as it lands on the floor. Then with no further warning the pumagriff, my sister, is running around the hotel room like a mad animal.

I stand up fully and narrow my eyes, "We are inside a rental room. I don't know what has gotten into you, but if you break anything-"

She skids to a halt in front of me, "That was really good coffee."

The clothes I had gotten out of the suitcase are still in my hands. I stroke the fabric with my finger as I remind myself to do something about those K-cups. Felicity obviously doesn't require such an amount of caffeine.

"I am going to go change in the bathroom. I expect the white pumagriff to be my sister when I come out. You know better than to shift. Mom and Dad would have a fit if they knew you shifted here." I caution her.

She rolls her eyes, "No one can see us in here."

"How about when a cleaning maid comes in while you are running around the room like a wild animal?" I offer.

She lowers her head and I recite, "With great power comes great responsibility."

I usually don't put pressure on my sister, but she's still learning about the basics of living as a shifter. Caution is of the utmost importance.

I'm starting to sound like Diesel now.

________________________

When I come out of the bathroom, I find my human sister looking through the glass doors of the patio and down at the ocean's waves.