Destined

My heart still beats heavily and I keep my eyes fixed straight on the road ahead of me.

"Someone's calling you."

I glance at Felicity in my rearview mirror, "Huh?"

"Your phone. Someone's calling you."

"Who's calling?"

Diesel picks up my phone which had been sitting in a trough next to the gear shift.

"The caller is unknown. We should ignore it." He growls.

I shake my head saying, "No, answer it. See who it is."

Diesel hits the green button and presses the speaker icon.

"Hello?" I finally say.

"Are you guys alright?" A voice asks loudly.

I wince, "Who is this? How did you get my number?"

"This is Suraj. I have everyone's phone number. Is everyone alright?"

Diesel answers, "Yeah, no one's hurt."

A long silence passes then Suraj goes on, "I hoped this wouldn't happen. They officially know I've turned against them now. Their plans will change. The boat will still be heading to Cuba, but... they'll expect us. We'll have to come up with a whole new idea to ambush-"

"Suraj, we'll worry about that once we get back to the hotel."

Felicity pops in, "Wait, do you think Ash, Mr.Wilks, and Garret got to the hotel safely?"

"I texted Ash. He said they're at the hotel without having problems." Diesel quickly adds in.

Suraj sighs, "Good."

My eyes stay fixed on the roads and I ask slowly, "Suraj, how are you driving and talking on.the phone at the same time?"

"Oh, I have bluetooth in my helmet."

Well, that's fancy.

Felicity chirps, "This has been the oddest vacation I've ever experienced."

I'll be happy to be back in my sleepy little town.

The drive to the hotel takes us twenty minutes and about two u-turns. Our speed chase lead us farther away from the hotel than we had first estimated.

As we walk across the parking lot, my skin tingles as if an enemy will jump from behind a palmtree. Diesel wraps an arm around me after noticing my uneasiness. Felicity clings to my other side.

"Did you find any complications shifting?" I ask Diesel.

He furrows his eyebrows, "No... I didn't. Wow, I thought I'd find it difficult-"

"How do you feel?"

"I feel fine..."

My face turns to look at him when he trails off. I watch him stare down at his arms and flex his muscles with an expression of realization.

"I feel fine!" He repeats excitedly, a smile spreading across his face.

"Huh?" Felicity whispers dumbfounded.

My own smile grows and I ask enthusiastically, "You sure? You don't feel tired or drowsy or weak or-"

"No, not at all. When I shifted it must have kickstarted whatever Mr.Wilks gave me."

"I can't believe it!" I jump up and hug him tightly.

Right as Diesel embraces me I hear, "Ahem."