Chapter 10

But like everything else, the moment ended.

He bowed first, and then I copied with a curtsy. "What are you doing here?"

He took my hand again and led me away from the dancing. We ended up standing next to a wall by the buffet tables. "Attending my sister's party. What are you doing here?"

"Attending a party I was invited to by my coworker." I replied, and I felt so stupid for not realizing it before. All my dumb luck, and we end up here.

"Well, apparently we were both invited to the same party. Who's your coworker?" He asked, looking around the mass swarms of people.

I didn't really want to say, and much less explain if he asked, but I continued. "Peter."

"Oh…" He trailed off slowly, and we stood silently, watching the dancing. "The 'Peter' that's dating my sister?"

I should've seen this coming. The spy in me felt so stupid that I didn't. "I think so." Knowing how lucky I was tonight, I added "Probably."

"Great!" He sounded so excited, but I didn't know why. "Maybe, since you won't go on a normal date with me, you'd go on a double date with your coworker? I mean, if you feel like it, of course. I never know with you."

He wasn't making my life any easier. "Mr. Princeton, please-"

"Adam." He finally told me. "My name is Adam. I'd rather you call me that when we're not at Fullerton, anyway."

"Your real name is Adam?" My voice squeaked at the last word, and I was officially living in a fairytale all of my own. Problem is, I didn't see myself living that long to get a happy ending. My happy ending died with Jack.

"Yeah. Funny, huh?" He laughed, and I couldn't help doing the same. "So… what happens now?"

"I'm not sure, it's getting pretty late…" I trailed off, looking at the wooden wall clock, and it was almost eleven-thirty. "I think I'll be heading home soon."

"Oh, right. You gotta be studying for that English test on Monday." He smirked, but it reminded me he was still my teacher. But after tonight, I don't think I really cared.

"Belle!" Jane's voice interrupted my thoughts, and then I felt her tug on my arm. "It's getting late. We should go."

"Oh, uh, okay." I stammered, curtsying towards Adam. "Thanks for the dance."

"Thanks for the night." He said, and as I was walking away, I'm glad he couldn't see the goofy smile or the blush on my face. But it didn't matter, because my coworkers saw it.  

"Hey, you two heading out?" Milo asked, and I kept my head to the floor. "Whoa, Belle's blushing!"

"Ooh!" Jane raised my head and kept her hands on the sides of my face, staring into my eyes. "Was it the prince over there?"