Chapter 23

When I opened the front door back at my place, it'd only been an hour since I left. Dad looked at me angrily, but didn't say anything. Mom sat there, staring at me to say something, and sipping her hot chocolate as well, and my brothers had their eyes glued to the TV, now playing Rudolph. I went upstairs to drop my bag and my gun in my room before coming back down, grabbed a sugar cookie, and sat down on the couch.

"You weren't gone very long." Mom stated after it was silent for a while.

"Good." Dad muttered before turning up the volume.

"Well, he has his family, and I have mine." I replied, staring at the screen like my brothers.

"Yeah, and Dad said you'd never be a part of his." Eric announced, tattling on him like a ten year old would. My jaw dropped and I gasped as my head turned slowly to look at Dad.

"Excuse me?" I breathed, my eyes narrowing as I shook my head slightly. "That's not really your call, concern, or business."

"He's at least four years older then you, do you really think your relationship is going anywhere?" Dad shot at me, "Besides, you're still only eighteen."

"Oh, I'm sorry, was I not the mistake child that you two had while she just got out of high school?" I shot back, gesturing to Mom. "And are you not six years older than her?"

"That was different. We were dating before I knew she was still in high school." Dad argued, but Mom kept the mug to her mouth. She was not getting involved in this.

"And I liked Adam before I knew he was four years older than me. Look, I don't know what to tell you. I'm going to keep dating Adam and there's nothing you can do about it." I stated, finally laid down the line. I was standing up to him, my big, powerful father. And it felt amazing. "And, I'm also going to his sister's place for dinner tomorrow."

"No, you're not." Dad growled, also putting his foot down. "Tomorrow, you're staying here, and there's nothing you can do about it."

"Oh really?" I asked, cocking my head and crossing my arms. "Watch me."

"Give me your keys." He held out his hand, but I flattened my lips together and didn't do anything else. "Now!"

"No." I refused, "Screw you."

Mom gasped, and my brothers also peered away from the TV to watch our argument instead, but Dad just pasted on his game-face smile. "Well then." He lied back to get comfortable, kicking his feet up on the coffee table, "We'll just have to see about that."

"How about we just sit back and enjoy Christmas, okay?" Mom finally spoke up, and I sighed as I sat back and watched the show. This wasn't over, and I don't think it was ever going to be.

After hours of watching Christmas movies, my brothers finally went to bed to wait for "Santa" and I was downstairs with my parents, Dad putting out the fire and Mom washing dishes. I was curled up on the couch, but I was probably going to bed soon.

"Goodnight." Dad muttered before heading upstairs. Mom came from around the couch and sat next to me.

"I don't care what he says, Mom." I stated, "I'm going to that dinner tomorrow."

"Well, it is Christmas, so I don't see why you should go see people who aren't your family." She admitted, defended Dad, which was not okay right now.

"Why are you on his side?" I whimpered, feeling the world was against Adam and I.

"I don't want you making the same mistake I did." She sighed, rubbing her hands across my shoulders.

"Great, so I'm still the mistake child." I muttered, but she shook her head.