Chapter 16

When the adults sat down at the adult table, it was pure silence. Alex was right across the way from me, with my parents at the ends, and the other family stuck in the middle. There was also a kids table, which seated my two brothers and Abby's kids, which was kind of in the corner of the room. They were the only things making noise in this room.

After the food got passed around, I tried to make a conversation. "So, uh, who won the game?"

"Don't know. Didn't see the end of it." Uncle Mark spoke up, and when my mother and my grandmother's eyes met, glares were shot before scowls and angrily eating food fast.

"So, Uncle Mark…" I trailed, trying to find any topic I could talk about. Any. "Where do you work now?"

"I'm in business, managing files, keeping tabs on appointments, you know. The works." He replied, "Getting him through college." He added, pointing to Alex.

"Yeah Dad, I know." Alex muttered, picking at his food. I pretty much stared at mine; I wasn't given a lot, but even then I couldn't eat it. But I was distracted for a moment when I heard my phone buzz.

"Belle, no phones at Thanksgiving." Mom scolded, but I checked it anyway. To my delight, it was from Adam.

Happy Thanksgiving! How's it going?

"Yeah, yeah, one second." I replied, typing in my text.

Good, I've got most of my family here. hope yours is good.

"Who ya texting?" Alex chuckled, but I raised my eyes only to glare at him.

"None of your business." I growled, and read his response.

That's good. I have my family here to, and if you want to stop by later, please feel free.

"Seriously, Belle? That is so rude, put the phone down." Dad ordered, and I sighed and placed it on the table.

"So, Belle." Grandma started, and I could tell by the eyes my mother rolled in her head that she wasn't going to play nice. "Are you working on getting your… problem, fixed?"

"There is nothing wrong with her." Alex cut in before either one of my parents could.

"Oh, of course there is! Look at her." Her face scrunched in disgust as she looked me up and down. "She is not healthy."

"Mom, we're working on it." Dad stated lowly, but she scoffed.

"Please, she doesn't look any better than the last time I saw her. Maybe even thinner."

"I work out, Grandma." I leaned in and my eyes squinted as I said it. "I work out to keep my body in shape."

"You don't eat! How is that healthy!?" She shot one index finger at my mother. "Did you do this? Are you starving her?"

"Enough, Mom." Dad ordered her, but she was not the type to back down.

"Belle, can you do me a favor?" Grandma asked, and I humored her to listen. "I want you to take one bite. Just one."

"One bite?" I asked cockily. Even if I didn't eat, I could easily manage one bite. "Of what?"

"Anything you want. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, no one cares. But I want you to prove to this family that you're not anorexic." She gestured to my plate, and I looked down at it.

"I don't know what that's going to prove. Everyone else already knows I am." I muttered, but picked up my fork anyway. "But I eat." I stated, stabbing a piece of turkey, and holding it close to my mouth. But as soon as I smelled it, I felt sick. I closed my eyes and breathed, but as soon as my eyes became teary, Alex snapped.