Chapter 25

"Belle." Alex chocked out, tears in his eyes as he hurried over to me, taking me in his arms. His shaky breath against my skin was not particularly pleasant, but I could deal with it. "Jesus Christ, Belle. Do you even know what happened?"

"I tried to go to my boyfriend's sister's house for dinner and I got hit by another car?" I asked, but my hand shot to my head as a sharp pain started beating against my brain. "So I've been told."

"What? No, that's not what happened, Trisha-"

I made a coughing noise with my throat, gesturing past him and to Adam. Alex whipped around and saw him, and his lips flattened as he saw who it was.

"Adam." He nodded slightly, gesturing a greeting. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"I'm not leaving her, she just woke up." Adam stated angrily, offended that he tried to send him away. "And I also found her."

"And I was the one that pulled her out of her car, and I actually know what's going on, so can you please leave so I can talk to my cousin alone?" He growled quickly, having a stare down with him.

"I want to know what's going on, too."

"You can't know!" Alex snapped, his calm posture now broken, and his body tensed as he shook slightly, maybe out of stress, maybe out of insanity. "You're not even supposed to see her, remember!?"

"That was months ago." He argued, "There's no way it could be in effect now."

I didn't want to, but I knew I needed to. Alex was, as usual, painfully right. I had no information if I was now allowed to see him, and I wasn't taking the risk if I wasn't. "Adam, it's best if you go."

He lost his focus on Alex and put it all on me. "What?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry, just for a little bit, we're going to have a short chat." I assured him, and he shook his head, but stood up in defeat.

"This isn't okay." He stated, giving Alex the most devilish glare I've ever seen from him, but turned around and left. Alex waited until the door was shut to start talking again.

"Okay, what the hell is he doing here?" He asked lowly, pointing at the door, but gesturing to Adam. "How did he get here before me?"

"He was here every day, unlike anyone else in my family." I shot at him, but he paced the floor nervously.

"I was here for the first two weeks, but I was with our team, tracking down Trisha. She wasn't there, you know. She either jumped before the cars contacted or climbed out on her own. Either way, she's gone, disappeared, and still out there."

"And you didn't find her!?" My fist slammed down on the table next to me, my head still throbbing, making me whimper softly. He headed over to the cabinets and rummaged through them until he found a bottle of something and handed it to me.

"I'm pretty sure you can't do that." I stated as I looked at the bottle. "This isn't a very effective pain reliever."

"It'll help for a little bit, enough to talk." He opened the bottle for me and handed me two pills, "And our team is almost here. They're beating your parents."

"I'm not ready for my parents yet." I admitted, "But I feel fine, I think I can work again."

"Not right now, you can't. You're still on the partial suspension, but I'll see what I can do to convince Crank for you to be lifted."

"But are you at least close to finding Trisha, or did you learn what the Russians are planning? They're going to execute a whole terrorist plan and we can't do anything to stop it!?" My pulse was beating fast, heart rate risen, but I couldn't stop it. "Do you know how many people will die?"