Chapter 21

I knew what I had to do, but it didn't mean I wanted to do it. I stood outside Adam's classroom, five minutes away from second period, but I already ditched first. I just had to go in, tell him I couldn’t see him anymore, and then leave. But I've already reached for the doorknob and backed away several times. I didn't know if I could force myself to do it. I'm his girlfriend, and I like him very much. But this was to… protect him, his son, his entire family. And I wasn't going to be the one to put them all in danger, especially from the Russians.

I took in a deep breath, finally got my hand to wrap around the doorknob, twisted it, and stepped inside.

His head perked up almost immediately, eyes widened only slightly, but still shocked to see me. "Belle, you're… you're here."

"Yeah, I came to talk to you." I shut the door quietly before heading over to his desk.

"Oh my God, is this the talk? Is this it?" I pulled up a chair and sat down, and he laced his hands in mine. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, no, you're fine. I'm the problem." I sighed, wanting to pull my hands away, but I couldn't. "We… can't see each other anymore."

"What? Why?" He questioned, his eyes softening. "You didn't do anything either."

"Yeah, but there are these things going on, and it's best that we don't see each other." I replied softly, looking at our hands, avoiding his eyes. "It's for the best of everyone."

"Best of everyone? Did your Dad talk to you or something?" He replied, shaking his head. "No, I won't let him do this to us."

"It wasn't him this time." I stated, ended his plan. "I'm doing this on my own."

"Belle, you don't know what you're saying." He accused, and I finally took my hands from him, standing up, putting the chair back and refusing to face him. "Is… is this a break-up?"

I shut my eyes, stopping any chance of tears. "That's the last thing I want."

"Then why does it sound like one?" I heard the chair move, and suddenly his arms were around my waist, his head on my shoulder. "I don't understand."

"We just can't see each other for a while, okay?" I pushed him off of me, standing behind one of the tables to create a blockage, "You have to understand."

"Belle, I don't. I'm sorry, but I don't understand this." He objected, but stopped to run to his desk and pull out something. My head fell to my hands as he brought over a Disney Beast stuffed animal. "I got this for you. Because I thought that I could be your prince Adam, even if I wasn't perfect. Even though I could've been the Beast." He pulled my hands from my face and put the plush in my hands, "Keep it. I hope it reminds you of me."

"Adam, this isn't a break-up." I clarified, "I… I wish you would understand."

"Then help me understand." He got up on the table and sat on it, making sure he stared deep into my eyes. "What did I do wrong? Tell me everything."

When I didn't respond right away, his hand raised to under my chin, and he brought it closer to his face so his lips could reach mine. His lips were soft, and I closed my eyes to enjoy the kiss, but he was throwing me off. He was just making it harder for me. And I shoved him away.

"I can't do that, Adam!" I cried just as the second period bell rang, and we both stopped arguing for the sake of the other students. I shoved the stuffed animal in my backpack and went to my table, and he went back to his desk at the other students started filing in. But it wasn't long until my phone started buzzing with texts.

We're talking later.

I shook my head as I punched in the letters, It still doesn't change anything.