Chapter 12

I stood outside of Milo’s office, knocking on the door. “Hey Milo, can I ask you something?”

“Come in.” I heard him say, and I did. He was sitting on the floor with multiple laptops, notebooks and cables sprawled out everywhere. “I’m still waiting for a bigger desk.”

“I see that.” I sat on the floor with him.

“What do you want?” He asked, closing a couple of his laptops.

“Do you have a recording of the dialogue that was said after the car flew off?” I played with my fingers some, trying to stay quiet even though my earpiece was off.

“I probably do. Everything is recorded. Why do you ask?”

“There was this woman… who seemed really familiar, but I didn’t know who she was. She was also speaking Russian, and I couldn’t understand her.”

“There was a woman on the flyover with you?” He asked like it was a secret that he wasn’t told. “Why weren’t we informed of this?”

“I thought you knew!”

“Hold on a sec.” He ordered, logging into the database and taking out the dialogue at the specific time it was said. “How much Russian did she speak in?”

“Not much, she went to English after a couple sentences. Or, at least, I thought they were sentences.” I replied, and he copied and pasted them into audacity, and then they were automatically typed into a word doc. “I will never understand technology.”

“That’s okay, I still don’t know how to use a gun.” He added before copying and pasting the first one into the translator. We stared at the screen for a couple seconds and didn’t respond to the two words.

Hello, niece.

“What?” I breathed, my voice barely audible. “That’s impossible! I’ve never met her.”

Milo’s scrunched up face shared my confusion. “Are you sure? No one would make up something like that.”

“I’m sure.” I stated confidently. “My father has no siblings, and my mother has one sister and one brother. Neither were her.”

“Well then.” He turned towards me. “Looks like you and your family have something to talk about at dinner tonight.”

“Shut up and go to the next phrase.” I ordered, and he copied and pasted the next one into the translator.

It’s nice to finally meet you.

“Well, that explains how you don’t know her.” Milo stated.

“I just don’t understand.” I stared at the screen for more than a couple seconds. “I would’ve heard something. I would’ve seen a picture of her or something. Her name would’ve come up at family reunions.”

“Maybe they’ve been hiding the fact for all of your life. Some secrets are better kept.” Milo was now trying to figure it out, and I knew it’d drive him crazy.

“They’re not that good at hiding anything.” I shot back, crossing my arms.

He turned towards me slowly, pushing his glasses higher on his face. “Never underestimate parents.”

I felt my eyes meet his at a glare, but wt back to the screen. “Pull up the last one.”

“Fine.” He muttered before copying and pasting.

I’m sorry it took so long to meet you.

“My parents and I are going to have a long conversation tonight.” I stated, standing up. “Thanks, Milo.”