Chapter 27

He didn't speak. His eyes softened but stared at me blankly, but many thoughts were racing through his mind. He wanted to speak, but he couldn't. But then he shook his head, "No."

"Yes." I shot back immediately, "And I'm so sorry."

"Wait!" He pleaded before I yanked the door open, and then bolted. Again. For about the third time from his apartment. I knew I'd have to explain everything, but there wasn't going to be a good time for that. He couldn't know I was a spy. And at this point, he was never going to know.

Once in my car, I drove as fast as I could so he wouldn't follow me. And then I called Alex, making sure my earpiece was off before doing so. I didn't think he could help, but he'd at least tell me the best thing to do.

"Belle?" He questioned, "I thought you were at Adam's today?"

"Something's happened. I need to meet up with you. Where?" I asked quickly, but my voice was shaky. I didn't even know what happened. Today was supposed to be amazing and just about us… and I was going to lose him forever.

"Work. There's no other place." He stated, "And the others know. They're meeting us there."

"I just want you, Alex." I pleaded, "Please."

"Sorry. See you there." Alex apologized before he hung up, and I threw the phone on the seat next to me. I didn't want to deal with them all. What would they say?

~~~~~~~~~~

"What happened?" Alex questioned immediately as soon as I opened the door to my office. To my surprise, I was the last one to show up. "You sounded like a wreck over the phone."

"And can we hurry it up? Molly and I had a dinner that I am now going to be late picking her up for." Peter groaned, checking his watch every couple seconds. "And shouldn't you be at yours?"

"I was." I walked in quietly, shutting the door behind me. "Anyone else listening?"

"Nope, just us." Alex replied, and everyone else stared at me intently. "Now, what is going on?"

I thought about what I wanted to say, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that everything I worked for and wanted with Adam was already gone… therefore the burst of tears I had that followed.

"Jesus, Belle." Alex breathed, taking me by the shoulders as Milo swung a chair around, and he sat me down. "What happened?"

"It's Adam." I cried, my head in my hands.

"What happened." All my coworkers shot at me, their defensive modes switching on.

"That's it, I'm killing him." Alex stated, pulling his gun out and cocking it back before heading to the door. 

"Wait, it wasn't his fault." I choked out before he left, his hand still on the doorknob. "I learned things about his past and I can't live with what I've done to him."

"Did you kill him?" Jane asked, the first time speaking up by herself.

"No." I shook my head as my head tilted up, trying to stop the tears in my eyes from falling. "But I killed his fiancée."

They all froze. No one had anything to say. No one knew what to say.

"But…" Peter started when no one else would speak up, "As far as we know, you've only killed one person."

"Yep."

"And that was Tori." Jane stated.

"Uh huh."

"So what you're saying is…" Milo spoke up, his clever mind thinking and processing possible theories. "You either killed someone we didn't know you did…"

"Which is highly unlikely because of the last time with the sickness, guiltiness and therapy." Alex added, but he wasn't making it better.

"Or..." Milo cut him off, also shooting him a glare. "His fiancée was Tori."

"Yeah." My voice was down to a whisper, the word barely audible. "I killed the love of his life."

"But she killed yours first." Jane argued.

"Adam loved Tori before me, and I can tell he is still crazy about her because she is the mother of his son and they dated in high school, which is why they were getting married. But now that she's dead, he is trying to forget her through me, but how can he do that when I'm the one who killed her!?" My whole body shook, about to have some sort of anxiety-panic attack, and Alex kept his arms round my shoulders to calm me down. "I killed the love of his life because she killed mine."

They all stood in silence, realizing the serious problem that I had, "Damn." Milo whispered, utterly mind-blown. "I'm not sure if that's completely amazing or just plain cruel."

"What are you going to do?" Jane asked, kneeling down to my level. "I know you're freaking out, but therapy would help again."

"I don't need therapy, I need to turn back the clock and make sure I never killed her." My voice whimpered, but I breathed in deeply to try and calm down my body. Alex's head was on my shoulder, arms still tightly around me.

"You know that can't happen. If it could, Jack would be back." Jane added, but one mention of his name, and my mind was sent reeling again.

"And Tori is Jack's mother! I killed the mother of his son! He is never going to forgive me!" I cried, only thinking about how I'm going to lose him. I couldn't take back anything. And just like last time, I couldn't stop it.

"Just calm down, Belle. Does he know you killed her?" Alex asked soothingly, trying to get me to calm down. 

"Yes." I whimpered, knowing that he had to be pacing the floor, maybe calling the police, and now they were going to think I murdered her. Unless they find out that I'm a spy, in which the agency will get involved and in the court case, the jury will pass me off as 'not guilty'. But I didn't care about going to jail. I wanted Adam. There was nothing in the world I wanted more.

Not even bringing Jack back.

"So what are you going to do?" Jane asked after a while of silence.

"I… I don't know. I don't know if I should call him and try to explain myself, or if he will call me to ask some questions, or maybe he needs time to cool off. Maybe he needs time to think, or maybe he doesn't believe me. I don't know! He wanted to talk to me, but I just left. I don't know if he still wants to talk or not. But I do know that I'm not going to Fullerton any time soon."

"That's good, because work needs you." Milo admitted, trying to lighten the mood. "We need you."

"Trust me," I started, eyeing each one of them, but thinking about Tori and how she was a Russian spy, and all the pain Adam has gone through because of it. "I promise that Trisha and all the Russians will be stopped… if it is the last thing I do."