Prologue

30 Years Ago

    The full moon shines down on the dirt road, casting an eerie glow over the faces of two young travellers.  The forest around them, despite the ungodly hour, teems with life.  Deer stare out from between the trees as crickets sing their nighttime song, the rustling of the leaves adding to their music.  A young man, merely twenty years old, steers his wagon along the empty road as his wife watches the passing forest.

    "We're almost there," he states, urging the horses along.  Their hooves clop against the hardened soil, kicking up small clouds of dust with each step.

    "That's good," the woman replies, pulling her cloak tighter around her arms.  "It's so very dark."

    "I know, darling.  Hang in there."  He whips the reins and the horses go a little faster.  "Look, up ahead.  You can see the lights of the kingdom."

    The young woman nods, a light smile on her face.  "Yes, I can see it.  It looks lovely."

    They fall silent, the only sound being that of the forest and the horses' hooves.  The woman's contented face twists with worry as she looks around, nervously smoothing the skirt of her dress.  Her husband glances at her and smiles weakly.

    "They won't catch us.  I promise."

    "I trust you, but I still worry.  Their horses are fast and they're a determined lot."

    The man reaches over, taking her hand in one of his while keeping a firm grip on the reins.  "I will not let them get us.  We will be alright."

    She nods and falls silent.  The wagon creaks and rumbles as they reach the gate, pulling to a stop.  Two guards, stationed beside the massive doors, approach the wagon and the young couple inside.

    "Who are you and what's your business?" one asks.

    "We're the Fischbachs, and we want to settle here," the man replies.

    "Occupation?" the other guard asks.

    The man freezes, his fingers clenched tightly around the reins.  The woman, upon noticing her husband's distress, cuts in.  "Farmers.  We're farmers."

    The guards glance at each other before nodding.  "Alright.  Open the gate!"

    With a creak, the grand doors to the kingdom open and the man drives his cart through.  As soon as they're out of earshot, he sighs heavily.  His wife places a gentle hand on his.

    "We're okay," she mumbles.

    The man nods as they head down the darkened streets of the kingdom.