Chapter Fifty-Five - From Kingdom to Kingdom

The room is quiet as Seán snuggles against Mark, a single candle illuminating his content expression. He drags a finger gently along the scar on the king's chest while Mark rests his hand over the scar on Seán's side, one that he was shocked to see but altogether unfazed by. Seán's eyebrows furrow slightly and he lifts his gaze to meet Mark's, his mind buzzing with unanswered questions.

"So, what do we do now?" Seán asks, his voice soft. "The issue of our kingdoms still stands..."

Mark exhales, trailing his free hand to the king's back and letting his fingers rest against his spine. "Well, I was thinking that maybe we could spend summer and fall here in Viride, because it's greener and more lush than Rubellus, and winter and spring over in my kingdom. If the travel is too much, we can spend a bit longer in one or the other. We are kings, after all. Nobody can counter our orders."

Seán mulls over his words for a moment before nodding. "That might work... What about the question of heirs? I have an heir, but you don't."

Mark's eyes brighten and he squeezes Seán's arms excitedly, making the king jump from the spontaneity of his action. "I forgot to tell you! I went on a tour of Rubellus a few days after you left, and part of that tour was going to the local orphanage. While I was visiting with the kids, one of the women who works there came up to me and told me there was someone she wanted me to meet."

"And...?" Seán asks.

"There's a girl there. She's only two, but she was born with the flame of Rubellus on her forearm. Her parents were both killed by the conqueror, so now she's in the orphanage." Mark pauses, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. "Can that happen? Can a non-royal kid be born with the mark?"

"It's incredibly, incredibly rare," Seán replies, grinning widely. "Fate smiles upon us, Mark. This means you don't have to go and have a kid with some woman in order to keep the royals alive."

The king of Rubellus sighs dramatically. "Thank goodness." He smiles lightly and nuzzles his nose into Seán's hair. "I want you to meet the heir to the throne of Rubellus. She's such a little cutie."

"I'll do that the next time we go to your kingdom," Seán replies. He snuggles deeper against Mark. "It's so, so good to have you back. I love you."

"I love you too," Mark replies.

Peaceful silence falls between the two. Seán takes a deep breath and shuts his eyes, falling asleep so much easier with Mark beside him. The king of Rubellus pulls him closer, falling asleep a few moments later.

Eventually, the kingdoms learn of Mark and Seán's union. Of course, a massive wedding is thrown and royals from all over are invited, joining in the dancing and singing and celebrating. The two kings perform the traditional ceremony for royal marriage, which includes taking each other's hands, wrapping their forearms in their magic, and allowing it to soak into the other's skin. Their individual marks burn because of it, but it's the best burn they've ever felt.  Seán gets Mark a ring to match his, making the king of Rubellus smile and kiss him out of pure joy. 

Autumn comes and goes and before the snow falls, Mark and Seán head to Rubellus. The ride feels a lot shorter now that they know what to expect, and the ride is a lot less gruelling when they have each other.  Before long, they've arrived.

"This place is looking fantastic!" Seán exclaims, smiling at Mark. The streets are alive with people and animals, going about their day to day lives. The buildings are, for the most part, restored to their former glory, no longer looking shabby or broken like they did before. Nobody hides in their homes or cowers in the shadows. People smile and laugh and talk with one another, free and unafraid just like Mark wanted.

"Thank you," Mark replies, adoration for this place obvious in his eyes. "It's exactly what I hoped it would be."

While the servants bring their things to the castle, Mark leads Seán through the streets towards the orphanage. The brick building teems with life as children run to and fro, laughing and playing with one another. Some of the older children sit on the front steps, talking and basking in the sunlight. They immediately straighten up when they see the kings approaching, shooting each other nervous glances. Mark smiles at them before pulling Seán after him into the building, where they soon locate the heir to the Rubellus throne.

A little girl sits in the corner of the room, her dark brown hair pulled into ponytails and her blue eyes shining brightly. She plays by herself, moving tiny wooden dolls around a dollhouse and giggling every once in a while. The flame on her forearm is obvious, stark against her young, unblemished skin.

Mark grins widely before moving to sit beside her, the "baby voice" coming naturally as he speaks to her. She laughs when she sees him, grabbing at his fingers and bouncing up and down. Seán stands in the doorway, his heart melting at the sight.

"Seán, this is Evelyn," Mark says, picking her up and placing her on his lap. "Come here and say hi!"

Slowly, Seán moves to his side and settles down on the floor. Evelyn reaches out, touching his green hair curiously and making him smile.  He glances at Mark for a moment before looking back to the girl.

"She's adorable," Seán nearly whispers. He reaches his hand out, letting her take his finger.  Mark holds her steady, grinning widely.

"She is. I've been visiting her as often as possible, and it really helped the loneliness when you weren't here." He bounces her a little, making her laugh. "She's going to be a queen one day. Can you even imagine?"

"Not now, I can't," Seán replies. He chuckles. "Maybe when she's older, I'll be able to picture it."

After visiting with Evelyn for a while longer, the two royals make their way to the castle. Seán keeps his hand interwoven with Mark's, feeling deeply at peace.

He could get used to this.