Chapter Fifty - This Is It

The next morning, Mark wakes up and immediately feels a jolt of nervousness. This is the day they take back Rubellus. This is the day they face off against the conqueror. Just as his breath hitches, Seán shifts slightly beside him and slowly opens his eyes.

"M'rk?" he murmurs, his fingers curling around the prince's waist.

"Today's the day," Mark whispers. "How do we even prepare? I've never done anything like this before..."

"We eat a good breakfast, get the knights ready, and head off." The king nuzzles against his neck and exhales heavily, his breath tickling Mark's skin. "It's not too complicated."

Mark nods a little, snaking his arm around Seán's waist and tugging him closer. "We probably need to get up."

"Probably," Seán mumbles. He presses a kiss to the prince's collarbone before pulling himself away from Mark's grasp in order to grab a pair of pants from the floor. "Look away so I can pull these on, okay?"

The prince grins, his voice turning into a whine. "Aww, do I have to?"

Seán turns bright red and shoots a glare at Mark, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Yes, you do."

Mark exhales dramatically and covers his eyes with one hand. The moment he does, he feels the shift where Seán stands up and can hear the rustling of him pulling on his necessary garments.

"Okay, I'm good," the king says.

Mark opens his eyes, unable to stop his grin when he sees Seán standing there, shirtless and bright red. Mark wiggles his eyebrows, causing the king to roll his eyes and throw a pair of pants at his face.

"Put these on, you pervert."

"I can't help it! You're just too damn cute!" Mark exclaims, pulling the clothing off of his head.

"Excuse me, I think you mean devilishly handsome," Seán retorts.

"Oh, my apologies, your majesty. You're just too devilishly handsome for little old Mark."

Seán grins. "That's more like it."

Mark laughs, watching as the king reaches down and grabs a shirt from the floor. "You seem in a much better mood today."

Seán glances at him, his eyes flashing with pain for a moment before being covered once again by a slight smile. "Well, reality hasn't hit me yet. Give me an hour and see how I feel then."

Mark chuckles. "Okay."

The royal flashes him a thumbs up and crams his crown on his head before heading towards the door of the room. "I'm going to get everyone ready. You should get dressed."

Mark nods and Seán smiles faintly before slipping out of the room. The moment the door closes the prince sighs heavily and rolls over, burying his face in the king's pillow. It still smells like him.

His heart clenches uncomfortably when he thinks of Seán and the fact that after they take back Rubellus, they'll be separated. It's most likely the reason the king was so upset yesterday. He hates the idea of leaving Seán, but what else is he supposed to do? Abandon the people of Rubellus as soon as he frees them?

The day is still young and full of possibility. So many things could happen in the next couple of hours that could change the course of his life forever. He'll figure all of this out later. Won't he?

Mark groans a little, pulling himself out of bed and getting dressed. After brushing through his hair, he pulls his crown on and heads downstairs. There, knights bustle around and walk in and out of the inn, speaking loudly to one another. Mark searches desperately for Seán and upon finding him, gravitates to his side.

"We're almost ready to go," the king says, reaching out and squeezing his hand. "Are you ready?"

"I think so," Mark breathes.

The royal smiles a little and leads him to one of the tables, sitting with him as Mark attempts to fill a stomach that's too nervous for food. After a bit of small talk, one of the knights approaches their table.

"Your majesties, are we ready to go?"

Seán glances at the prince, who stands and takes a deep breath. "Yes. Let's go."

The knight bows and heads off, calling for the other cavalrymen to join him outside. Mark takes Seán's hand, squeezing gently, before following the knight into the street.

Before long, they're galloping down the streets towards the Rubellus castle. Mark glances sideways at Seán for a moment, adrenaline and fear pumping through his veins. This is it. This fight determines all.

At least he has Seán at his side.