Chapter Twenty-Eight - Falling

Seán stares at Mark like he's seeing him for the first time before stepping back, blinking a few times and looking completely bewildered. He stammers in a desperate attempt to say something, anything, but the words seem to get trapped in his throat. "Uh, your dancing is good."

Mark nearly laughs, but his brain is so frazzled that it just comes out as more of a gasp. "Thanks."

The king's eyes flick from Mark's hands to his face, his mouth opening and closing several times. When no words come out, he turns on his heel and grabs his crown, moving towards the door.

"I'm going to my office," he nearly chokes. He glances back at Mark for a moment. "Um, if you want to have dinner with me tonight, tell Flora and she will bring you to the dining hall."

Mark grins. "Sure."

Seán's ears turn bright red, making the farmer smile even wider. With a quick wave, he slips out of the room.

Mark doesn't even try to calm the excitement that courses through his veins. The magic in him heats up and pulses with the beating of his heart, and he finds that he loves it. He loves that he's broken down the king's emotionless barrier. He loves that Seán doesn't even try to hide his sentiments anymore when he's around Mark. His feelings for the king are a slippery slope, and he slides faster and faster every time he lays his eyes on Seán.

He gets to have dinner with him instead of alone in his room! A mischievous grin crosses his face as he strolls through the hallways towards his room. He can gaze into those blue eyes and drive Seán crazy at the same time!

Feeling giddy, he practically skips back to his room.

——

Seán reaches his office and slams the door shut, pressing his back to the surface and sliding down to the floor with a deep exhale. He lets his crown, which he had put on after leaving the room, fall into his hands and rest there, gleaming in the gentle light of the room.

He sighs again and rests his forehead against the cool metal. "You are an idiot, Seán. A massive, blubbering idiot."

His mind wanders back to the way Mark's eyes had glistened with tears under the firelight of his magic and his heart leaps into his throat. The simple curiosity that had led him to keep Mark here in the first place has snowballed into something so much more. Mark occupies every part of his mind and has the ability to distract him even when the farmer isn't there. Seán's emotionless mask, which had been flawless and intact, has been shattered. Mark has brought out every emotion, every feeling, that the king may have wanted to hide.

Butterflies fill his stomach at the thought of dancing with Mark in a room filled with other royals. He has a reputation of being a stoic, unshaken king. One dance with Mark and Seán will crumble and practically fall at his feet for everyone to see. He finds, however, that he doesn't mind too much. For once, he'll actually have someone with him instead of being alone. And, even better, that person will be Mark.

Seán pulls himself to his feet and sits down at his desk, but he can't focus. He invited Mark to dinner! He's going to see those dark, earthy eyes twinkling at him from across the table and lose it. He ruffles his green hair with a huff, tracing a finger along the curves of his crown, which sits on the desk beside all the papers he's been ignoring.

"Pull yourself together, Seán," he murmurs to himself.

——

Before he knows it, Mark is being led towards the dining hall by Flora. The girl continuously glances at him with a gleam in her eye, which he tries his hardest to ignore. His stomach twists from nerves and excitement, and calming his racing heart is fruitless.

"Right here, sir," Flora says, gesturing to the large oak doors in front of them.

"Thank you," Mark nearly squeaks.

The maid smiles and turns on her heel, moving back down the hallway. Mark glances back at her before pushing the doors open, revealing a rather small table laden with food. Seán stands there, fiddling with the hem of his shirt and avoiding eye contact due to the blush that dusts his cheeks. The minute he sees him, the farmer feels some of the nervousness wash away.

"I honestly expected a massive table for you and all your knights," Mark says, a teasing grin on his face. "Do you mean to tell me that you aren't like King Arthur and that you don't have a round table for you and all of your closest friends?"

Seán's blush disappears as he sends him that lightly annoyed eye-roll that Mark loves so much. He motions for them to sit down before replying. "I usually eat at a table this size by myself. The large tables are only used for banquets or guests."

Mark frowns slightly. "Eating alone kind of sucks. Believe me, I would know."

Seán nods in agreement as they dig into their food. "The guards always insist on being in the room, but that's worse.  Having people around but feeling alone."

"I can barely imagine the extent of how awkward that would be."

Seán chuckles a little. "Incredibly so." He sighs and sets his fork down. "So, the ball is coming up in a little over a week's time."

"Yes." Mark glances at him. "I am only slightly terrified. I mean, I am the rightful ruler of a kingdom I've never been to and I will be there, representing it. At least I'll have you there." He wiggles his eyebrows and Seán turns bright red.

"Mark!"

The farmer grins. "Yes, Seán?"

The king rolls his eyes again, a smile brightening his features. "You are ridiculous."

Mark laughs, but his cheerful expression is soon replaced by a more solemn one. "Speaking of foreign kingdoms..." He takes a deep breath and looks up at Seán. All the talk of kings and queens has peaked his curiosity. Usually kings are betrothed, aren't they? "This is a strange question, but were you ever betrothed to anyone?"

Seán's eyes flash for a second. "No. As the youngest, I get a choice of who I want to marry."

"Even now that it's just you?"

"Well, yes." Seán shrugs. "One of my brothers got married when he was out and about. He and his wife had a daughter before he passed away, and she was born with the shamrock mark. So, when my time is up, she'll take the throne from me." He grins a little at Mark. "I'm glad though. It keeps my options open."

"Options are good," the farmer comments, grinning.

"How about you? Did you ever get betrothed to anyone?"

"Nope." Mark takes a bite of the food in front of him and swallows before he speaks again. "No self-respecting father would marry his daughter off to a farmer who couldn't grow anything."

He looks up and locks eyes with the king, a shudder travelling down his spine and making his stomach flip. Seán's ears turn red and he glances away for a second before meeting Mark's gaze again.

"Another question, Seán," Mark says, a grin starting to form on his face. "I must know... do you have a thing for bad boys such as myself?"

The redness in Seán's ears spreads to his face and he crosses his arms, trying his best to hold back his smile. "If you weren't all the way across the table, I would smack you."

Mark laughs and after a second, Seán joins him. The farmer's eyes twinkle as he watches the king, his heart pounding and his mind racing.

Oh God, I'm falling for the king.