Chapter Forty-Three - The Longest Night

Mark has never woken up from a nightmare screaming. However, after departing from Seán and falling asleep alone, his nightmares hit him full force.

The men that kidnapped him crawl into his room through the windows and doors, malicious grins on their faces. Mark can't get away as they drag him down the halls of the castle and through the garden. They beat his old bruises until they're fresh and leave him lying there, only to return with Seán in tow.

They're even more merciless with the king of Viride. While Mark watches and screams and sobs, they punch, kick, and slice into the royal until Seán is bloodied and broken. Whenever Mark tries to channel his magic, they hurt Seán worse. If he tries to reach out and save the king, the kidnappers beat Mark senseless.

Mark bolts upright, screaming his throat raw. Sweat glistens on his forehead and soaks his back, but he doesn't even acknowledge it. In his mind, he can feel every kick and every punch. He can feel the cold of the dungeon floor against his skin. It's terrifying.

The door flies open and Flora rushes in, wide-eyed and frazzled. She reaches out for Mark, but upon seeing him flinch, retracts her hands. Mark manages to stop screaming, but the harsh sobs that follow aren't much better.

"Hold on, Mark. I have an idea," the girl says, although she doubts he's listening.

With that, she turns on her heel and rushes through the darkened halls of the castle. Some of the guards were alerted by the screams, but she soon assures them that she has the situation under control. Before long, she reaches King Seán's bedchamber.

"Mark needs you," she gasps when she reaches him.  She's completely out of breath from running through the castle, but she does her best to speak through it. 

The king is out of bed in an instant. He races through the halls and reaches Mark's room in a minute, his heart clenching when he sees Mark sobbing. Flora glances at him, pain swimming in her eyes, before turning and leaving the king and prince alone.

Seán moves into the room slowly, every movement calculated and careful. "Mark, shh. You're okay. Listen to me."

The prince glances over and immediately tenses, his breathing growing more sporadic. Seán freezes, his heads raised in the most unthreatening position possible. Is Mark seeing a kidnapper in his mind?

"Mark, it's Seán. I am not going to hurt you. You are safe," he says slowly. Mark keeps watching him, his breathing slowly becoming more even. "Breathe. You are alright."

Mark trembles as he curls into a ball, hiding his face in his knees. Seán exhales heavily, approaching the bed and crawling carefully towards him. The prince tenses and shifts away from Seán, sending a stab of pain through the king's chest.

"Hey, shh, it's just me. It's Seán," he repeats.

Mark lifts his eyes, some of the panic draining from his expression when he recognizes the king beside him. Gradually, he uncurls himself and takes Seán's hand before moving closer, burying his face in the king's shoulder and inhaling shakily.

"You're okay," Seán whispers. "Focus on my heartbeat."

Eventually, the tremors that run through Mark's body die down. Seán shuts his eyes, silently thanking the heavens for Flora and her knowledge of their relationship. He doesn't even want to think of what could have happened if she hadn't known.

"Stay," Mark pleads softly, his breath hot against Seán's neck.

"Of course," the king replies.

The prince shuts his eyes, his fingers clenched tightly in Seán's shirt. The king exhales, gently resting his head against Mark's and his back against the headboard. He doubts he'll get sleep tonight, but that's okay. Mark's comfort comes first.

The prince doesn't fall asleep easily. Every time Mark starts drifting off, he jerks himself awake and starts trembling all over again. Seán holds him closer, his eyes heavy with sleep.

"Mark, you can sleep. I'm here," he murmurs whenever the prince jolts awake.

"I can't," Mark whispers in response. "They keep coming back..."

Seán rubs gentle circles into his back and presses a kiss to his head. "You're safe."

After what feels like hours, Mark finally falls asleep and stays asleep. Seán sags, relief and exhaustion flooding him. As long as the prince is okay, he's okay.