Chapter Fifty-Four - Mark's Return

Seán taps his pencil on his desk methodically, lost in thought as he stares at the papers in front of him. The words don't process in his mind whatsoever. He sighs, frustrated that he's still trying.

His magic pulses in his veins and he jumps, immediately letting it flow out of his palms. Red swirls among the green before separating, forming the shape of a man that could fit in Seán's hand. The king of Viride smiles for the first time in a month when he realizes that the figure is unmistakably Mark, although his only colour is red and his shape is in constant motion with the swirling of the magic. He reaches out, brushing his finger through the figure as the man starts to talk.

"I figured out a new form of communication, so I thought I'd use it to talk to you," Mark says. Tears well in Seán's eyes and he brushes them away stubbornly. Hearing his voice will not make him cry. "Anyway, I wanted you to know that I'm making the journey to Viride tomorrow and will arrive in a week's time. I miss you so much it hurts, and I realized that I have some... unfinished business." The figure smiles. "I can't wait to see you again. Hopefully you haven't forgotten me. I love you."

The figure dissolves into air and Seán buries his face in his hands, tears pouring down his face in waves. Mark is coming to Viride. He's going to see him again. Why does it have to be five days away?

The week turns out to be the slowest week in Seán's life. Every day his desire to see Mark again grows, and by the time the king is scheduled to arrive, Seán can barely stand it anymore. He has to stop himself from snapping at his advisors when they try to get him to dress formally, unable to convince them that this isn't a royal meeting.

"Remember to welcome him as a royal, your majesty," one of his advisors says, shooting Seán a stern glare.

"Sure," the king replies, although he isn't really listening. Servants stand around him, fastening a cloak around his throat, and he does everything in his power to keep himself from shoving them away. What's the point in dressing fancy? It's just Mark and besides, the king of Rubellus doesn't want to see King Seán. He wants to see the Seán he knows and loves.

"That is all you need to do," he says, waving the servants away. The only thing remotely different about him is the fancier cloak he wears, which he figures he can deal with. His advisor sighs heavily, but doesn't say anything.

One of the knights pokes his head into the room, immediately gaining the attention of the advisor, servants, and Seán. "The king of Rubellus is approaching, sire."

Seán's eyes brighten and he rushes out, his advisor on his heels. By the time he gets to the front gates, Mark is dismounting his horse. His dark hair is fluffy beneath his shimmering crown and his cloak swirls around his legs like water, regal and beautiful. He's exactly as the king of Viride remembers him, although a new air of maturity hovers around him now.

Seán's advisor starts to say something about "staying here," but the king of Viride isn't listening. Before anyone can stop him, he's sprinting across the lawn and into Mark's awaiting arms. The king of Rubellus catches him and spins him around, burying his face in Seán's shoulder.

"Oh God, Mark," the king of Viride whispers through his rising sobs. "You're here..."

"I'm here, Seán," Mark murmurs. "I love you."

Everything is just right. After months of separation, this is perfect. Seán exhales heavily before letting Mark go, a smile returning easily to his face. He wipes away the tears and takes Mark's hand, leading him to the garden.

The moment they're in solitude, Seán presses kiss after kiss to Mark's lips. Everything is so purely Mark, and it fills him with a peace that's been missing for months. The king of Rubellus tightens his hands around the other royal's waist, a shine in his familiar brown eyes.

"I missed you so much," Seán whispers between kisses. "It was awful without you."

"Same here," Mark replies. "The nightmares got worse and you weren't there to cuddle with, so I just woke up screaming every night. They stationed guards by my room to "help", but seeing dark silhouettes coming at me after a nightmare only made me panic."

Seán tries to ignore the way his heart breaks by tightening his fingers on the royal's shoulders. "I'm so sorry. I'm just... so glad you're here now. I can actually help you."

Mark smiles. "I never want to leave you again. A few months was enough."

Seán runs his fingers over the king's stubble, returning the grin. "I agree."

"That brings us to my unfinished business. I've been trying to think of a way to always be with you despite being in separate kingdoms. It's been really hard, but I think I've found a way." The king of Rubellus takes a deep breath, holding Seán's hands in his. "I have loved you for a long time. You are my support system and a constant source of unconditional love. You took a simple farm kid and turned me into a king. You have been around me at my best and my worst and you still stuck with me, and being far away from you was one of the most awful and painful things I've experienced."

Seán's eyes widen significantly. "Mark—"

"Seán, I want to be with you for your worst days and your best days. I want to be your constant support through the highest and lowest moments because if you're at my side, we can get through anything." Blushing profusely, Mark fishes around in his pocket and drops to one knee, presenting a golden band engraved with a flame and a shamrock. The king of Viride covers his mouth, tears pouring down his cheeks. "King Seán McLoughlin of Viride, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

Seán nods multiple times, afraid that his voice will fail him.  After a moment, he manages to speak. "Of c-course I will, Mark. Is that even a question? Of course!"

Mark slips the band onto Seán's finger and engulfs him in a hug, smiling wider than he has in his entire life. The king of Viride is his now. No matter what happens, he knows that he'll always have Seán at his side through it all. The Irishman laugh-sobs into his shoulder, his fingers tightening against Mark's back.

"I love you so much," Seán whispers. "So, so much."

"I love you too," Mark replies, pressing a kiss into his shoulder. "Until the day I die."