Chapter Forty-Five - An Agreement

The topic of Rubellus remains unmentioned between Seán and Mark, but prominent in the prince's mind. After hours and days of thinking up solutions and building his confidence, he finally heads down to Seán's office to propose his idea.

He pushes the door open slowly and steps inside, closing it behind him. Seán glances up from his papers, his eyes filling with apprehension for a moment before growing emotionless.

"Seán," Mark begins, his heart clenching uncomfortably.

"Mark."

The prince shifts in place, finally meeting the king's inexpressive eyes. "I... have a proposition to make. About taking back Rubellus." Seán's jaw clenches and before he can speak, Mark continues. "You could come with me. You can bring men so I'm not fighting on my own and you could have control over the situation if you're there."

Seán shakes his head slightly. "I-"

"You could help me. The conqueror has been in power for thirty years. He's not young, so that could make him easier to fight. I also did some reading, and he doesn't have any magical abilities. I'm not too advanced yet, but if you were there you could assist me!"

"Mark, what about Viride? I'm the king. I have to take care of my people."

"Your advisors could handle the kingdom. Rubellus is a five day ride from here, so you would only be gone for two to three weeks at most."

Seán exhales heavily, moving from behind his desk to a nearby armchair. Mark follows, sitting in the love seat. After a few moments, the ice melts from his blue eyes and he leans over, slowly taking Mark's hand in his.

"It's a good idea. It really is. I guess I'm just... scared. I'm scared that you haven't healed enough to go and face this man. I'm scared that I could lose you. I've never really... done anything like this.  Ever."

"There's a first time for everything." Mark smiles gently and squeezes the king's hand. "Even this."

Seán smiles back, moving from his chair to Mark's. Ever so softly, he traces a finger along the scar that crosses the prince's pectorals. He's memorized the placement due to all the nights spent trying to calm Mark after a nightmare or bring him out of a panic attack. It still hurts his heart when he thinks of the reason it's there, but it doesn't change his opinion of the prince in the slightest. Mark still tenses at his touch, but Seán can feel him relax the moment they lock eyes.

"Are you ready for something of this magnitude?" he asks.

Mark nods, placing his free hand over Seán's and holding it against his chest. "I've been preparing myself."

"That's good."

Mark pulls him close, capturing the king's lips in his. Seán melts into him, allowing his fingers to slowly run from the prince's jaw to his dark hair. He does so as gently as possible, having learned after the first time he did it and triggered a meltdown that those kidnappers had loved yanking his hair.  Bastards

"I've never told you in person that I love you," Mark whispers.

"I love you too," the king murmurs back, stealing another kiss. He could stay like this all day with absolutely no problems. It's so much better than fighting and crying and hurting like they had been doing before.

"Is a week enough time to plan and prepare?" Mark asks softly, his forehead resting lightly against the king's.

"I think so," Seán replies just as quietly.

The prince smiles, pressing one last kiss against the royal's cheek before wrapping him in a hug. Seán buries himself into Mark's chest, sighing contentedly.

"We're going to protect each other out there," Seán whispers.

Mark nods and rests his head on the king's fluffy green hair. "Of course."