Chapter Thirty-Two - A Much Needed Talk

Mark and Seán don't get any time alone until late evening the next day.  Meetings are held about the wellbeing of the fiefdoms and townships that each kingdom controls, along with other assorted plans.  Mark understands none of it.  He's never had any reason to be involved in the business of royals before, but now it's different.  He feels like he should pay attention and be involved.  However, he doesn't know much more than what a normal peasant would know, and that's infuriating.  Thankfully, Seán is right beside him, whispering explanations in his ear whenever Mark needs them.  By the end, he can actually follow along.

    As soon as the meetings come to a close, Seán and Mark escape to the gardens.  The moon shines brightly against the black velvet sky, illuminating the fountains and tree leaves.  They walk with their fingers intertwined, glad to just be together and stroll quietly in nature.

    "Seán, I kept trying to figure out King Arin and King Danny during the meeting.  How are they both the kings of Aliquam if they aren't married or even brothers?"

    "They're a special case," the royal replies.  "They're cousins, and in a weird turn of events they were both born with half a mark.  Their parents freaked out and talked with every single advisor they had, and the conclusion they ended up making was that in order for the kingdom to run best, both of them had to be king.  Turns out that solution worked."

    "And Dan and Phil are..." Mark glances at Seán and the royal smiles lightly.

    "Married.  I have never seen them apart. Dan is a gentle soul, but I swear, if anyone hurt Phil they would regret it for the rest of their days."

    Mark grins.  "I figured as much."

    The two fall silent as they continue to walk.  Crickets chirp, filling the nighttime air with their song.  Their boots rustle the grass softly, the sound rising to their ears and their ears alone.  Mark sighs contentedly.  He wouldn't give this up for the world.

    "Mark," Seán utters.  His voice is quiet and almost sad, making the farmer glance over in alarm.  "Yesterday, Ken asked if you were ever planning on going back to Rubellus, and you said that you would love to."

    "Yes..." Mark's eyebrows furrow.  "What about it?"

    The king sighs, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand.  "We both know that you are not ready to go back."

    "I am aware.  That's why I want to get better at using my magic.  And, maybe at some point, train with a sword.  So I can take my kingdom back."

    "Rubellus is several days from here by horse carriage.  It is by no means a short journey, although there are longer ones you could take."

    "Why are you talking about this?"

    Seán stops abruptly, donning the emotionless mask that Mark hates so much.  He turns on the farmer, taking a deep breath.  "I do not think it wise for you to go back."

    Mark frowns.  "Why?  Seán, I promised myself I'd go back.  I promised my mother I'd go back, and she's not here anymore."

    The king watches him, and slowly, the wall behind his eyes that holds back the emotion crumbles.  He squeezes Mark's hand as pain and sorrow fills every inch of his face, causing the farmer to nearly stagger.

    "I don't want to lose you," Seán manages to say.  "My siblings all left and none of them ever came back.  It's selfish, to keep you here when you don't want to be.  You are not my prisoner anymore.  You haven't been for a long time."  He turns from Mark's gaze in order to wipe the moisture from his eyes.  "I don't want you to go there, hoping to get your kingdom back, and die in the process.  And, if keeping you here means keeping you alive, I want you to stay."

    Mark leads Seán to the nearby fountain and they sit on the edge, gazing out at the gardens that surround them.  The farmer rests his hand on the king's leg, leading Seán to look up at him.

    "I'm not planning on going back anytime soon, okay?" Mark says softly.  "Eventually I will, and when I do, I have no plans on dying."

    "Planning on not dying is easier said than done," Seán remarks, a slight, teary smile lighting his features.

    "Very true.  Good thing I'm as stubborn as a mule when it comes to what I want."

    The king chuckles, although there's still a tinge of sadness in his tone.  Mark sighs heavily and pulls him closer, his arm around Seán's waist.

    "Is it one of those tough days?"

    The king nods.  "How about you?"

    "I'm fine.  My thoughts usually get pretty dark at night, but I feel okay during the day."

    Seán nods again, resting his head on Mark's shoulder.  Together, they watch the moon and the stars, enjoying the gentle gurgling of the fountain behind them in the pale light of dusk.

    Neither of them notice the dark figure peering over the garden walls for a moment before disappearing.