Chapter Sixteen - Casual Conversations

The king regains control over his emotions and rolls his sleeves down. "I think that concludes our lesson for the day."

Mark straightens himself, smiling like an idiot. He used magic and made the king laugh! Could the day get much better? "I guess we'll see each other tomorrow."

King Seán nods and retrieves his cloak. "Practice summoning your magic and get more comfortable with it. By our next lesson, I will teach you how to actually use it."

Mark nods and takes a few steps towards the door. As he reaches for the handle, he pauses and glances back at the royal. "Seán, what are you doing with the rest of your day?"

"Work," he replies. He watches the farmer for a moment, and Mark feels a stab of disappointment when he realizes that the twinkle in his blue eyes has been hidden again. "Why do you ask?"

"If you ever need a break, the stable is a nice place to go."

King Seán nods. "I will keep that in mind."

Mark bows and exits the room, wandering aimlessly through the halls. He's only really entertained when he has lessons to do with Seán or someone gives him something to do, but other than that he feels extraordinarily useless. At least the stable has horses, dogs, and someone to talk to.

He heads through the gardens and enters the cool stable, where Ethan stands and rakes hay. He glances up and smiles as Mark approaches, leaning against the handle of his rake.

"I didn't expect to see you so soon, sir," he says.

"This is the only place that entertains me," Mark replies, grinning slightly. "And you can call me Mark. No need for formalities."

The stable boy grins. "Alright, Mark. Whatever you say."

The farmer can't help but laugh a little. He has a feeling that if he's going to find a best friend in this castle, it'll be Ethan. He heads deeper into the stable and strokes the nose of one of the horses. The stable boy continues to work, raking the dirty hay into a big pile.

"Hey Ethan," Mark asks after an extended period of silence. "Are you the only one who works in here?"

"No. I take care of the animals, but there's another guy who puts armour on the horses and prepares them if the knights or guards need them," the stable boy replies. "He's tall and kind of intimidating, but when you get to know him he's pretty nice."

"What's his name?" Mark asks.

"Tyler."

The farmer nods. "Do you think you or Tyler would mind if I rode one of the horses?"

Ethan grins. "No, we wouldn't mind. We have some horses that are specifically for the knights, but we have a few that the king and others use when needed. You can ride one of them out in the field."

"Excellent," Mark replies.

Ethan gestures to one of the stalls and the farmer opens it, leading the mare out and saddling her with expertise. Giving the stable boy a two finger salute, he hops onto the horse's back and rides out of the stable, grinning as the wind hits his face. She seems happy to be outside as well, obeying every one of Mark's commands with zero hesitation and trotting with perky steps. The farmer grins and rubs her neck before urging her on, charging across the field and laughing like a child.  The horse is like an embodiment of freedom, with her black mane moving with the wind and her brown coat glistening in the sunlight.  

After circling the gardens a few times, Mark heads back towards the stables. As he approaches, he spots a familiar head of green hair and rides faster, reaching the king in a matter of seconds.

"I see you took my suggestion," Mark says, smiling widely as he hops off the horse's back.

"Yes.  I decided that I just needed a break from my work for right now," King Seán replies, taking in Mark's windblown hair and silly grin. "I see you found the horses. You have good taste; she is quite a nice ride."

"What's her name?" Mark asks, stroking her neck.

King Seán stares at him for a moment. "We do not name our horses."

The farmer's jaw drops. "Seriously?! That is not okay. You have to name her now."

The royal rolls his eyes before watching the horse. His eyes flick from the animal to Mark, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. After a moment, he replies. "Her name is Grá."

"Grá? What does that mean?" Mark asks, glancing at the animal beside him.

"It's Irish," King Seán states, moving past him and into the stable. Mark follows suit.

"Yeah, but what does it mean in English?"

The king doesn't respond. He pushes the stable door open and immediately causes Ethan to squeak and start bowing profusely, his rake clenched tightly in his hands. King Seán waves his hand and instantly, the stable boy stops bowing and simply stands in the corner looking terrified.

"Relax, Ethan," Mark says, and the boy nods a little and grows the slightest bit less tense. As the royal wanders farther into the stable, the farmer approaches Ethan and leans down so he only needs to speak in a mere whisper. "Go find something to do outside. I will stay with King Seán."

The stable boy nods rapidly and exits the building in a nervous haste. Mark smiles a little and rejoins the king at his side.

"Is he always so skittish?" King Seán asks, glancing at Mark.

"No, I think he was just unprepared for the sudden appearance of the king." The farmer shrugs. "I sent him to do some work outside so you could have some quiet time with the dogs and horses."

King Seán nods and strokes the neck of a nearby horse, a faraway look in his eyes. Mark leans against the stall door, watching the king curiously.

"You seem distracted," the farmer says after a beat of silence.

Seán glances at him, his face expressionless as ever. "Do I?"

"Yeah.  You have that look in your eyes."

"Huh." The king turns his attention to the horse once again.  "I will have to work on hiding it better. You seem to see through it far too often."

Mark pouts and crosses his arms over his chest. "I would rather go through life without constantly attempting to decipher your emotions, Seán."

The king scoffs, his eyes twinkling for a second before growing dull again. "That is not a luxury you will receive, Mark."

"That's unfair."

The king smirks slightly and lowers his hand to his side. With a quick glance at a now grinning Mark, he motions for the farmer to follow him. "I must head back to the castle. Care to join?"

The American nods and the two exit the stable.