Part 20

Bill's eye widened and his eyebrows furrowed, "You want to fight me? Why? That doesn't make any sense..."

But it did, and Esperanza waited patiently for him to figure it out.

All she needed was to fight him and get him out of the way. When she did, Sapph would be alone and she wouldn't have anyone to protect her. It would make it so much easier to win.

He narrowed his eye, "You won't win. No one's beat me before."

"The Pines did."

"They were.. different. Not important here. You're just a demon." He grinned more of a teasingly playful grin. "I'm an all-powerful god! You practically have nothing against me! It's funny how dumb you are!"

Esperanza's face twisted up in anger. If there was one thing she couldn't stand, it was someone questioning her strength, "Shut up, you ignorant little shit!"

He laughed. It was that same, happily distorted laugh that he used to have while in his triangular body, Sapph noticed.

"You're only angry because you know it's true!"

The argument was cut off when Rubi returned, dragging a folder of papers with her and flopping them on the desk, "I have the documents! I--" She went quiet when she saw the demoness. "Esperanza..."

But Esperanza herself had no time to deal with Rubi. As soon as she heard that Rubi now had the papers out, she knew that she had to get rid of Bill. Then he couldn't sign them and he would be out of the way.

While the blonde was distracted, she went right for him.

Bill was quick to dodge and laugh, stumbling back a bit, "Not even a warning? Well then, I can play that game!" He started running to keep Esperanza chasing him, but he looked to Sapph.

"Sapphire, darling, I'm going to have to break my end of the deal with you!"

Her heart stopped.

"The first deal! I wasn't supposed to hurt anyone anymore, but I think I'll have to make an exception for this one!"

She let out a relieved sigh, "O-Okay, that's fine!" Sapph turned to Rubi and ran to the desk, grabbing the folder of papers from her to quickly pull them out.

Rubi watched over, "Just sign a couple of the papers, and have him sign them too! Then it'll be done!"

Sapph did her part, signing off the papers as efficiently as she could. Once she was done, she turned to see the scene of Bill verses Esperanza.

Bill was thrown quickly across the room, straight into the orange rocks that posed as the Council Room's walls. He was looking similar to when he did at their day at the fair: the whites of his eye were black and his pupil was white, and he had his blue flames sparkling from his finger tips. His face was a bit red and frankly, so was the rest of him. He was furious, but he played it off with sarcastic jokes and laughter.

"And.. to think that y-you used to be Sapph's little caretaker! Gee, there's no way you could have been strong enough to protect her when you can't even throw a decent punch!"

He was only making the magenta-haired demon angrier and fueling her fire. Literally. Esperanza's large blue wings sprouted from her back, accompanied by matching tail and horns. Similar to Sapphire's features, minus the broken horn on her.

"So much shit comes from your mouth, but I guess that would be expected from an asshole."

"Woah, you got me! I'm weakened! Man, everyone give a round of applause to little ol' Espy!"

Just hearing that childhood nickname made her yell, charging at him. He dodged.

Bill would have to be careful. He was using his powers sparingly, but this body wasn't as durable as he thought. Since he was getting stronger from using Sapph's power to recharge, his own were gaining their luster. At this rate, the body itself would crumble and he would be ejected back into Sapph's mind. That itself wouldn't be bad, but the worst part would be that he would have to watch her be forcefully married to Esperanza and watch Sapph even get killed. He would be in her Mindscape, and wouldn't have any power to stop her from dying. And once she died, he would be tied back to his own stone body back in the forest and there he would remain. No one would win.

When he dodged, he grabbed ahold of her ponytail, similar to what Juliet had done earlier, and slammed her head back to the ground, bringing her whole body with her. She let out a cry, but his foot went to her neck to stop it.

"Hey, Sapphie! Can I just kill her already? Would really make this easier! I've got her in the position!"

Sapph's eye widened and she shook her head, "N-No! I..."

"Why not? Why would it be so hard to kill her? Look at what she's done to you! She--"

Amidst his angry ranting, his voice trailed off and the angry creases in his face flattened, leaving a perfectly neutral expression. Then he looked down. Sapph followed his gaze, then gasped.

There was a spreading red blot in the middle of his jacket, and Esperanza's crazed grin as she basked in the glory of her arm penetrating his torso. In a flash, she drew her arm back, and blood splashed in every direction, all over her face and body, all over him, and their surroundings. Bill was still in shock, so she simply pushed him off of her.

"Simpleminded fool. Too much confidence in yourself sets you up for failure. That's why you lost against a couple of kids. You and this stupid human body were never going to last long anyways, even if I didn't kill you." Esperanza got up, licking the blood from her sharp nails, which must have been part of the reason for her clean cut through him.

Sapph ran to his side and caught him before he fell, starting to sob uncontrollably, "B-Bill! Bill, no I-I.. I'm sorry, it's..."

"It's not all your f-fault, Sapph. I'll be fine..!" Bill's normal colors began to return to him, and he then began to go pale. He leaned up and whispered, "Y'know it's just the body dying! ..I'll still be here! I-In your mind~"

She let out a sad chuckle, wiping her tears away, but she still cried, "I-I know.. but just seeing this.. it feels like you won't e-ever come back..."

"I know, but.. I-I will. Promise."

She laid him back, tears falling onto his chest as his breathing began to get slower and slower. But he smiled slightly, "Man.. this p-pain.. it's not really e-enjoyable this time..."

"Shh.. d-don't talk..."

"Sapphire..."

"..?"

"Fight her.. F-Fight and win.. I know you can do it. Just take all of your pent up feelings.. u-use it... Please."

He closed his eyes, his breathing barely noticeable now.

"Go."