Chapter One

PLEASE take note: I wrote this train wreck when I was in high school - it is not good. Furthermore, I never finished the second book and probably never will. Honestly, if I were you I'd leave this book out of your reading library's 🤷🏻‍♀️. Sorry for being so brutal 😂

It's been two good years since I left home, two good years I spent living my life with my cat Harold and my loving boyfriend Kevin. Life was perfect, or at least I thought it was. Harold died from cancer a few months ago and I caught my boyfriend sucking off a male stripper in my lounge room. Strangely enough, I was okay with Kevin cheating on me; we were more like friends than anything and if I was being honest, the sex wasn't that great anyway. It was the last string when that happened, the thing that absolutely broke me, the thing that ripped the last shred of goodness out of my life. That was what ruined me. That was when I did the unthinkable, turn to my dear mother for help.

I had no one else to turn to; I was depressed and stuck in a zombie-like state. Every moment lived was one better forgotten.

So I guess that sort of explains why I was standing outside my mother's newest fiancé's house. Well, not really. Let me explain some more.

When I call my mother for help her first answer is 'come back to the nest my dear, this mother bird misses you.' And of course, like any sane person, I would refuse. No person with common sense would move in with a boisterous and eccentric retired porn star like my mother.

The woman was mad, even crazier to think that I would actually move in with her. But this time the conniving woman had a trick up her sleeve, her new fiancé taught art in a fancy dancy art school in the city and would be able to get me a spot. I loved art, I lived and breathed it, so when she dangled that juicy steak in front of me, of course, I had to have it.

So there I was, standing outside the luxuriously intimidating house I was to call home, white knuckled and weary eyed. Everything was immaculate from the freshly cut lawn to the English cobble pathway.

The house seemed cold with its harsh whites and washed out greys, large stylish windows made up for walls for the most part. It reminded me of something I'd seen in a design magazine once. It was beautiful but almost seemed hauntingly empty as if it was a modern display home.

It was a stark contrast from my old, tattered Led Zepplin band shirt and ripped jeans. I could tell just from the exterior that I didn't belong there. I would much prefer a quaint house in surburbia than the monster that stood tall and proud in front of me.

I sighed and raised a hand to knock on the door. I stood, tapping my foot impatiently as I waited. Before I had the chance to knock again an attractive, young-looking man opened the door. There was a bitter scowl on his chiselled face. Other than the white towel wrapped around his waist, he was naked.

Any other day I would've praised him for his athletic build, for the hard muscles that rippled under his skin, openly checking him out and saying something like: 'Thank you for working out, I really appreciate it.'

But today was a different day. Not only did his gaze make me cower, but there was a possibility that he was my mum's new boy toy. I shuddered at the thought.

This couldn't be him, right? He looked... well, young at least compared to my old bat of a mother. God, that woman had no limits.

"What do you want?" he grumbled agitatedly looking down at me as if I was a mere fly on his shoe... well, there goes any inch of me that thought he was hot.

"I'm Maureen's daughter, Lauren" I smiled sweetly, my nails digging hard into my palm, the itch to slap him was painful, "I sure hope I got the right address."

The only thing that pissed me off more than assholes was rich assholes, the way they put themselves on a pedastal really pissed me off. Aren't we all supposed to be equal? The thought made me snicker, there was no possible way that we were all equals in such a tainted world.

"Yeah come in," He muttered, making way for me to enter.

It was excruciatingly bright; such a stark contrast from my old, musty apartment that always seemed to smell like day old rat faeces. I don't think I'd ever get used to it, yeah my apartment was a bloody mess but at least it felt like a home. This was not a home.

"Wow, what a beautiful place you have here," I gave him a fake smile and looked around, it was an extravagant, open living space with high ceilings and sparkling polished concrete floors. A part of me was too scared to move, afraid I'd dirty something. Another part of me wanted to dirty everything in sight, atleast then I'd be comfortable. I wondered how long it would take him to lose his cool deamenour.

To my right, beyond the foyer was a kitchen. The bench tops were a sleek marble and cabinets of lustrous white decorated the wall. Shiny, expensive looking appliances fitted perfectly into each nook and cranny. Nothing was out of place.

To my left was a lounge room. A long, grey sofa sat in front of an equally as large flat screen TV. I could already picture myself cuddled up on the couch in my pj's, snacking on potato chips and watching horror movies. It was one thing that wouldn't take long getting used to.

He muttered something incoherent and turned on the kettle.

"Oh Lauren, honey you made it!"

I turned to find my mother standing in the doorway, a bright smile on her face. Her luscious brown hair cascaded down her shoulders in rivulets, her skin was still as smooth as the day she was born. Curse her what did she do to deserve such good looks? She was like fifty, where were her bloody wrinkles? She stood there looking like a greek goddess while I stood there like a greasy rat, I wasn't surprised. It had always been like that when I was younger. I had supposedly got my dress sense from my aunt who was an avid hippy whilst my mother got it from her father who was a famous model. I just came to accept it...over time.

She was dressed in a thin robe that left nothing to the imagination, I shuddered.

"Come give your mother a hug!"

No, no no no no.

"I actually really need to use the toilet," I rambled anxiously.

"Aww, don't be silly," She giggled, prancing over to where I stood "I haven't seen my little baby in two years."

She embraced me, pulling my body in close and squeezing tight. Though I did put on a cold front around my mother I did miss her. I would never admit it aloud though, it would go to her head.

"I missed you, honey," she whispered in my ears, her tone becoming serious, "I'm glad you called me, you don't have to worry about anything... Kevin had a small dick anyway."

"Mum!" I fumbled out of her embrace, "how do you even know that?"

She just winked and left me to stand bewildered as she sauntered up to the grumpy, but the admittedly attractive looking man in the kitchen. She placed a manicured hand on his shoulder and leant in to whisper something in his ear.

"Jasper and I are going to take a shower. Make yourself at home," She smiled and ambled out of the room, with Jasper on her arm.

I exhaled; it was going to be a long journey.

A/N:

Thanks for reading the first chapter, let me know what you think!