Chapter Ten

(for those who forgot, Sarah is the artist that painted the portrait of Jasper.)

It was happening again.

She would go to Jasper, cry and he would wave her insecurities away and tell her to leave him alone because quote: 'I have more important things to worry about'.

Sarah couldn't blame him, he had always been straight to the point and it was why she always asked of his opinion. This time was different, there was a nervous look on his features, something so foreign it made Sarah nervous herself.

Sarah knew why, his girlfriend was due in a few weeks. He was shitting his pants and she knew it, he hid it well but Sarah could tell. They had been friends for years, of course she'd know.

" I want to paint something real," she wailed, "Everything I paint, it's all fake. Fake smiles, fake laughter, fake everything and I hate it."

They sat on the hill where they used to share lunch together back when they were in art school. Sarah still came to the spot when she needed some air, to get away from the responsibilities of life, Jasper always knew where to find her.

"Maybe you should stop painting," Jasper grumbled.

Sarah gave him a look and he shrugged, "Just a suggestion."

Sarah sighed, her shoulders slumped, "I want to paint something that makes one feel emotion."

"Paint what you feel, not what you want yourself or others to feel," He mumbled, "You say you want to paint whats 'real' but your so focused on painting whats fake."

"Easy for you to say, you're good at everything," She pouted, "Everything you paint is breathtaking."

He raised an eyebrow a cheeky smile on his lips, "What can I say? I'm a natural."

"Shut up," She shoved his shoulder with a smile, " You're just a butt."

"Sarah," His tone turned serious, "You have to stop breaking down like this, you have to become stronger. I'm not going to be there every time you need a shoulder to lean on. I'm going to be a Dad soon, I already have a family to look after so I can't keep looking after you."

He got up from the grass and wiped his pants down, "I care about you Sarah, but it's time you faced this battle on your own. You're a strong girl, you'll figure it out."

Tears welled in Sarah's eyes as Jasper turned and left. She knew he was right. She was weak, whereas he had always been strong.

---

Naomi was dead.

Sarah had been gutted when she heard the news. For as long as she could remember Naomi and her had been friends, more importantly Naomi was Jasper's 'soul mate'. Or at least that was what Sarah had said at the wedding and she believed it. The two were an absolute match made in heaven, what Jasper lacked Naomi made up and vice versa.

She couldn't imagine the pain Jasper was feeling at the moment, her heart ached for him. Not only did he loose the love of his life, he also lost his first son.

Sobs wracked her body, the itch to find Jasper and give him a big hug almost unbearable. She was shocked when Jasper turned up at her door, hair wet from the impending rain, he looked broken.

Fuck.

She broke down when she saw his lip quiver, and jumped into his arms. For a long time they said nothing, just cried into each others embrace.