Chapter Six

"Back so soon?"

My mum's voice echoed from the kitchen as Jasper and I walked into the front door, "Good because I brought cakes and I wouldn't be able to eat them all by myself!"

I was glad Jasper said nothing when he saw my tear-stained face, but I knew my mother would be different.

As soon as mum caught sight of me her eyes widened and she gasped.

"Honey, what's wrong?" her face full of concern. Thankfully Jasper had sneaked out of the room, it would be awkward to have this conversation with my mother, but with him as well? I shuddered at the thought.

"Nothing," I mumbled, staring at my hands. I knew I couldn't hide it forever, but I had hoped to keep silent, at least till I had finished mending.

"Lauren," her voice was strict; there was no room for disobedience, "tell me."

I gulped nervously, "I met up with Kevin..."

Mum had a look of disapproval on her face but didn't interfere.

"We talked about things..." I dragged on; I hadn't had a deep and meaningful with my mum for a long time. Gosh, it felt weird.

Here's goes nothing, I guess.

"Mum, I was pregnant."

Fuck, there I said it.

Her eyes widened like saucers, "Was? Honey, what do you mean?"

I sighed, my shoulder slumping, "I was pregnant with Kevin, but I l-lost the ba-"

Mum wrapped her arms around me as I started to sob, "Oh, baby."

"Shhhhh," she whispered into my hair, "it's all going to be okay."

I hated this feeling, broken. Fuck I sounded dramatic, like one of those cringe-worthy teenage emos. You know those ones that post pictures of themselves on Facebook with some depressing as fuck quote, I get it kid your life is fucked, but guess what so is everyone else's. Don't feel fucking special.

"I think the baby could tell that life with me as a parent was going to be fucked and decided to leave," I croaked, a small smile on my face.

"Oh honey, I'm sure that's not true," she patted my hair, "I had you after all."

"True," I chuckled softly, "but maybe that makes me stupid."

"You know, Grandma used to always say: Whatever will be will be," there was a bittersweet smile on her lips, "For some reason this was meant to happen, sure it's fucked but it will all work out in the end."

We sat for a minute in each other's embrace, enjoying the silence.

"Now," she gave me a cheeky smile, "we have some wedding cakes to taste, I want your opinion on them."

-

"I think I like the vanilla the most," I muffled, my mouth stuffed with cake.

We sat cross-legged on the couch in our pyjamas, taste testing all the cakes for Mum and Jasper's wedding. I totally forgot about it to be honest, their wedding I mean. I had been so distracted by all my surroundings, by everything that had happened. It felt as if an avalanche had gone through and shook my whole world upside down.

Suddenly the doorbell rang, pulling us out of our cake induced state.

"I'll get it," I waddled to the door.

The cake dropped out of mouth when I opened the door and saw Kevin standing awkwardly at the other side.

"Kevin?" my voice shook, "What are you doing here?"