Chapter Fifteen

It was time.

I wasn't ready or at least I didn't think I was.

I hid like a child behind Jasper's broad back as we walked into the prestigious art gallery. It was the same one Sarah had her exhibition in.

Did he get me a job here? ....fuck

Geez, I had to give the guy credit. To even get an employer to look at me was a miracle, I was a walking inexperience and experience was supposedly everything.

I stumbled over my own feet as we ventured through the extravagant, dimly lit foyer. The art gallery was simply beautiful, I walked in awe.

"What are you doing Lauren?" Jasper grumbled, softly enough so only I could hear but still angry enough to intimidate me.

"I'm nervous, I can't help it!" I whisper-yelled from behind him.

"Please try," he said.

He strolled towards the foyer desk, his posture tall and confident whilst mine was meek and awkward and tapped a finger rhythmically on the wooden surface while we waited for a receptionist to serve us.

Rebecca, as her name tag read was a pretty brunette with pink lips and bright amber eyes. She addressed Jasper with a sweet smile and fluttered her long lashes, "How can I be of assistance, Mr Martinez?"

"I'm here to see my sister," he mumbled, his voice deep and tired.

Sister?

"Of course!" She perked, a blush on her tan cheeks, "right this way."

She swayed her hips as she led us through a door that read 'employees only'. The nerves in my stomach began to bubble, I couldn't ignore it as I had done before. I gulped the lump in my throat down and shook my head, this wasn't the time to be getting nervous. I ought to be excited, it was the opportunity of a lifetime.

My last job was at a stingy Chinese restaurant located in a recluse corner of a damp alleyway that always seemed to reek of pungent fish. It was a bad, dark thought but if what happened with Kevin never occurred I would be stuck in that same Chinese restaurant probably for the rest of my sad life. I was almost glad he was a cheating asshole, I'd have to thank him later.

I was pulled from my thoughts when Rebecca opened a large wooden door and gestured for us to enter, "Straight through there, Mr Martinez."

"Thank you.... Rebecca," He gave a slight nod before walking swiftly through the doorway, not waiting for me to follow.

Rebecca looked me up and down, her lips pursed as I chased after him like a pathetic lost puppy.

The spacious room we walked into was dark, illuminated in a sensual manner.

The only place with decent lighting in the whole art gallery was the actual gallery itself, every other room seemed to be dimly lit in an attempt to make the gallery seem sensual and mysterious. It was beautiful nonetheless.

I scanned the room as if looking for danger. An extravagant, dark wooden desk sat in the middle of the room, two leather chairs accommodated the space behind the desk and one large chair that screamed 'BOSS' sat in front.

The room was littered with unique, ceramic trinkets and cute family photos. I sighed in relief, there seemed to be no danger present.

"Jasper!"

Clara bounded energetically out of nowhere, her dark locks bouncing around her voluptuous figure and wrapped her slender arms around Jasper in what seemed to be a bone crushing hug.