The Beginning - Pearl

Rose Walker was walking home from Harrison Jr high, like she always did with her younger sister Mazie. It was the last of the winter snow but the recent rain had transformed it into watery, dirty slush. She was wondering what Ma would say now that her worn shoes were soaked. She could not get new shoes because money was tight, and on top of that, World War II was raging on the other side of the world. Pa was over there in England helping children immigrate to America to escape the war.

All of a sudden a outside disturbance snapped her out of her deep thought. A rock, it hit her in the messy brown clump she called a braid. It really hurt but she already new who threw it, so she didn't need to turn to see who it was. But she did anyway. The sight of the two was worse then her imagination could conjure up. Of course, she saw them every day at school, where they owned the place. Everyone was scared of them--even the big boys (who weren't really that big compared to them). No one sasses them or made fun of them and if you did you would get shoved down the stairs or worse. But they always seem to save the meanest things for Rose. So Rose stood there, staring at Rick Evens and his girlfriend Patricia Knot who were smiling their big ugly smirks at her just a few yards away.

Authors Note

The next person to write in this book will either be Sofia or Lucy after their done it will be my turn again! Yes! See you soon!