A Little Extra Bravery - Hope

Rose finished writing her letter, and she collapsed on her desk, letting out the sobs she had been holding in all day. She was devastated.

How could this day have possibly been any worse? She had been attacked by awful, disgusting people who she was sure she'd have to see again, only to be rescued by a delusional old man who had embarrassed her in front of Dean. Then, perhaps the worst thing of all, she had come home to find a returned letter from her father. Where was he? Had something happened? Or was he angry at her and didn't want to talk anymore? Was he injured? Or... or worse?

The possibilities flooded Rose's mind, and it only made her cry harder. She was sure that she wouldn't be able to keep going. How could she ever survive another day? All she wanted was to fall asleep and forget all her problems, and let the world fade away... it wasn't long before she drifted off to sleep, her tear-streaked face against the rough wood of the desk.

Rose's eyes fluttered open and she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to see her uncle George, sympathy in his eyes. "Come here, Rose."

She got up and collapsed into his arms, and the tears started again. They stood there like that for a long time, and he patiently wiped away her tears and whispered "Shh... it's okay, sweetheart."

Then, she felt a small hand on hers. It was Maizie, her face full of concern. She didn't say anything, just wrapped her arms around Rose and her uncle and stayed there. 

Soon, Rose's mother joined them, and Rose was entirely surrounded by people who loved her. It was this thought, the thought that there were people who cared about her so much, made her smile through her tears. It must have looked strange, the four of them standing there, but they stayed there for an eternity, hugging and crying and wiping away tears. 

                                                                     ~~~~~

Rose went to bed that night more content than she had thought possible, feeling like she'd be able to face another day. The next morning, she walked to school with Maizie by her side and felt braver than she had in days. 

But all that bravery blew away on the wind when she reached the school and saw Dean outside, coming towards her. 

At first she tried ducking her head and making her way around him, towards the school, but he moved until she had no choice but to face him. She decided to just get it over with and apologize, facing the awkwardness head on. "Dean, I'm, er, sorry about that man yesterday. I don't know what he thought he was doing, but I was, uh, trying to get him to leave when he started shouting at you. I- I'm sorry if he embarrassed you in front of your friends,"  she stuttered.

Dean, to Rose's surprise, smiled. 

"It's alright, Rose," he replied, "I wasn't embarrassed. Actually, uh, I have something I should probably tell you."

What he said next was something Rose never would have expected.

Sooo, I ACTUALLY updated a story! It's been forever, hasn't it? Sorry for slacking, and I'll hopefully be a lot more active on this account. 

Your turn, Pearl!