Uncle George - Sofia

"Hello, girls!" my mother called cheerily from the kitchen, as the door creaked shut behind us. She always tried her best to stay happy, but it was obvious she wasn't doing well. You could see dark bags under her eyes from lack of sleep, and she's been getting thinner and thinner ever since the war started.

"Hello, ladies." my uncle met us at the door. I watched Mazie's face light up.

"Uncle George-y!" Mazie smiled and leaped at him with a hug. The happy scene was enough to bring a smile to my face as well.

"My little sugar-plum!" Uncle George said to my sister. Sugar-plum was his nickname for her. With Mazie hanging around his neck, Uncle turned to me. "Hello, Rose, how was school today?"

Rose shrugged and sighed, her smile fading, "School was school. Nothing new," my mother's face appeared in the doorway of the foyer.

"Come on, you three," she said, "Get in the dining room. Supper's ready!" Rose stared at her, a little confused. Why was mom home so early?

In the dining room, Uncle George pulled out Mazie's chair so she could sit down. Mazie giggled at Uncle's gentleman-like ways as she accepted his invitation and sat down. Rise pulled out her own chair and sat down in it was will, with mother to my right. The table was laden down with the usual--vegetable stew and toasted bread, butter and milk to drink.

As we began to dig in, Rose wondered, "Mom, why are you home so early?"

She looked over at me, tiredness clear on her features. "I just... decided to take the day off, sweetheart." she told me. Somehow, Rose didn't believe her.

There you go, Pearl. It's finally your turn! Work your magic.