The Confrontation - Hope

Rose's classes seemed to go on forever. She glanced around nervously every few minutes, and she couldn't concentrate on her arithmetic test at all. She got a bad score, and Sister Graham shot her a glare when she was reading the scores to the class after lunch. Then, suddenly, it was time to walk home again, and Rose found herself wishing she could be back in those long hours of classes.

     "Hello!" Mazie trilled when she saw her sister walking across the schoolyard. "Today I got the best score in the class on our spelling test, and Sister Johanna gave me an orange! Can you believe it? It was so good! I saved a few pieces, you can have one if you'd like. Vivian Jones said she'd be my friend if I gave her a piece, but I said no because she's kind of mean. Then she got mad at me, but I didn't mind because I was too busy eating my orange. Anyway, today Eleanor told me that --- why do you look worried, Rose?"

     "Oh, it's nothing. I... I didn't do as well as I'd hoped on my arithmetic test today. That's all."

     "That's too bad. You're so smart though, I'm sure it won't matter."

     "Thanks, Mazie." Rose smiled faintly.

     "Let's go! I want to tell Mama about my orange!" Mazie pulled on her sister's arm, and Rose reluctantly started walking, eyes darting every which way. They were about halfway home, and she had almost convinced herself nothing would happen when she felt something strike her back. Hard. She whipped around to find Rick sneering and towering over her.

     "Mazie, go home. I'll be there soon, I promise." Rose heard the fear in her voice, and she willed it to sound stronger. Mazie started slowly backing away, and Rose emitted a small sigh of relief. But before she could turn and face  her hulking adversaries, she heard a shout from down the street.

     "Hey! What's going on over there? You, girl, come here!"

     Rose whipped around, thinking she was safe, only to realize the she had come out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed this! I'm passing it off to Pearl now.