Home, Sweet Home - Pearl

That night when the after dishes were scrubbed and the girls were in their pajamas, Uncle George read them a story--a new story. Mazie, her usual joyful self, was even more happy when she heard Uncle George had brought the book she had been eyeing for weeks. 

"Come on Rose! It's time for a story!" She exclaimed as she scrambled onto Uncle George's lap. Rose hesitated before she spoke, 

"Um, not tonight, I'm really tired." She lied. 

Mazie's face fell. "Oh, okay." 

Rose hurried into the bedroom, dived into bed and pulled up the covers. What was she going to do? She had just stood up to the big bullies of the school and she now had to face them at school tomorrow. She lay there dwelling on what to do, when all of a sudden the door creaked open. 

Mazie called out in the darkness, "The story is finished." Then she ran to the side of my bed and turned on the little lamp in between our beds, she knelt down beside me and spoke. "Rosie are you okay? You have been acting strange ever since you got home." She looked wounded like she had done something wrong. And, sure enough, she asked, "Was it something I did?"

"No, of course not." Rose said wearily. It wasn't very convincing. 

Mazie detected the weariness and said, "If you are scared about Dad or Mom, don't be--they're fine." 

"No, Mazie I'm not scared about that, just..." Rose searched for a lie to tell. "I'm nervous about that big arithmetic test I have tomorrow." 

"Oooohhh," said Mazie. She was very easy to lie to. "Well, good night!" she cheerfully said. 

"Yeah." I replied, "Good night." 

Take it away Lucy!