Betrothed

"Control" by Haley
****************

The night Sigyn was horridly slapped by her mother was an awakening. It was the same night she realized it was probably unwise Loki had so easily brushed aside her worry that Balder had come across their passionate encounter. Not more than twenty-hours later, everyone seemed to know Loki and Sigyn were together. Although, no one seemed to know -or care – that they had not been any more intimate than what Balder had happened to walk in on.

The young maiden's eyes watered as her own mother glared down at her. This was the night Sigyn was home from the palace, her time off from work about to commence. Her mother had said nothing before delivering the horrid slap. All Sigyn had done was merely walk through the front door to greet her family.

"SHAME ON YOU!" Peoria howled, shaking her fists angrily. "You have brought nothing but utter disgrace and disgust down upon your father's name!"

Sigyn's green eyes glossed over as she looked at her papa in the corner. He said nothing as his eyes watched the table under his hands. He looked as wooden as it did. "I do not understand-"
"WERE YOU OR WERE YOU NOT WHORING YOURSELF OUT TO THE GOD OF MISCHIEF!?!"
"What!? What are you referring to..." Another rough slap caught Sigyn off guard, and even caused her to stagger. Her brother Sulgroy then came forward to hold their mother back.
"That is enough!" He scolded, standing between his mother and sister. "She has gotten the point that you are cross, mother, I implore you to step back!"

The words said from the young man caused Peoria to back down, but, not before she sent another scathing look at her only daughter. "The god of mischief is frost giant filth!" She seethed. "His monster children are the result of his brief marriage to yet another disgusting beast-"
"DO NOT EVER TALK ABOUT LOKI OR HIS CHILDREN IN SUCH A WAY!" Sigyn shouted back, flushed with rage.

Now was the moment her mother, father, and three of her brothers watching this exchange fell silent. Never had Sigyn raised her voice to either of her parents. She had never shot a dirty look at her mother previous to that moment. Still flushed with rage, Sigyn did not dare back down given her temper was flaring too much. "Did you raise your voice at me?" Peoria whispered, her eyes narrowing. "Myself, the woman who provided you life!?"

"I have done nothing wrong!"
"You went to bed with a monster!
"HE IS NOT A MONSTER-"
"DO NOT SHOUT AT YOUR MOTHER!" Narfi snapped in agitation, burying his head into his hands. After a heavy silence, he lifted his head. His gaze flickered to his wife and then back to his daughter. "I implore you both to settle down so we may settle this as a family-"
"What she has done my husband is unforgivable!"
"Perhaps our Sigyn has valid reasoning for the rumors that are plaguing her," Narfi explained simply. His eyebrows raised looking back to Sigyn, a silent look to him that clearly said; I truly do hope you have an explanation at the ready.

"Fine," Peoria said thickly, crossing her willowy arms while moving to sit upon a nearby stool. After that, Narfi looked to his daughter, his brows raised questioningly. He wanted her to explain.
How in simple words could she explain that she held no care that her family and neighbors thought of her as a harlot? Loki was the only man who could make her heart beat faster and slower at once; she held no care for what anyone other than he thought of their romance. "I love Loki, father-"

"I cannot believe what it is I am hearing," Peoria snorted in interruption. "You whored yourself out to a monster-"

"We did NOT have intercourse!" Sigyn interrupted, glaring at her mother as her father looked to want to cover his own ears. He looked uncomfortable with the topic at large, but Sigyn pressed on. "Balder did not know what he walked in on. Perhaps I should have waited to kiss Loki until we were married, but I regret NOTHING because there is no man I ever have or ever will love more than the man you so callously deemed a monster!"

No one said a word as this news was digested. Her parents watched her in astonishment. Even Sulgroy and Pearson observed Sigyn with looks of heavy surprise. No one seemed to know what to say. With a trembling bottom lip, Sigyn turned to only her papa. "I understand my actions were inappropriate, father, but I love him. Frost giant and all, two individuals who love each other as much as Loki and I cannot be told our love is wrong."
"Narfi, do not dare approve of her actions," Peoria warned crossly, her eyes narrowing. "Do not dare..."

"Borrack down at the lumber mill was telling a tale at the pub of how young Loki was beaten and abused by trying to divorce the woman he was forcibly betrothed to," Narfi said slowly. His eyes widened as he processed what Sigyn was saying and what he knew of Loki by reputation. "Why would the prince take a brutal thrashing for a divorce when tis common for royalty to take upon multiple wives...?" He asked, looking at Sigyn alone for an answer.