⚡️PROLOGUE⚡️

I don't own anything except original characters (non DC) and my ideas

⚡️

Prologue

⚡️

"DARKNESS

"DARKNESS. Black, mysterious, scary!"

Little me, six years old, giggled, wriggling under my blankets, "Darkness isn't scary! People fear what's inside, or they just live with it. Darkness is home!"

"Of course you would think that," I blinked when a hand booped my nose, "Well, darkness is what I found you in. Fitting isn't it? Considering what you can do."

I stared up at the biggest father figure in my life with wide eyes. At the mention of my powers, the room's walls seemed to wriggle. I paid it no attention, my interest trapped inside the story I was being told.

"It's because I control shadows. Is that why it's cool that you found me at night?"

Lex Luthor smiled, his eyes almost glowing in the dim light of my bedroom. The source of that dim light was a nightlight. It wasn't kept in there to chase away the darkness I should have feared. It was there to create the shadows I found so much comfort in.

"Yes, yes, it does. You were in a little wooden basket. When I walked in you were calm, sleeping without a care in the world. There was nothing but you, a blanket, and a note."

"What did the note say?" I pulled said blanket up to my face. It was my baby blanket, my name stitched in one corner.

"(Full Name). Take care of her. I will be back for her on November 19th in 15 years when she is 16," Lex quoted, pulling my blanket up around me, "So many people passed by, but not me. I picked you up and brought you here where it's safe."

"Safe from what?" I asked, voice a mere whisper.

Lex hesitated. At the time, I thought nothing of it. It was an act to add drama to the bedtime story. In the future, I knew better. I learned that he wanted to say he wasn't keeping me safe from others. He was keeping others safe from me.

"The world is a dark place, and not in a good way. Here, you can train and learn without the fear of anyone hurting you. That's the end of the story. Sleep well little one," Lex stood up, sending me one last smile before he shut the door to my bedroom.

Him taking me home was the end of the story, but he left out a giant chunk of the middle. I didn't learn until I was 13 what exactly he was leaving out, and why he held it back for so long.

When Lex found me in that narrow, dark alley I was surrounded by bodies. Passersby who were willing to help me before Lex stumbled upon me. No wounds, no blood, no signs of any foul play. They seemed relatively healthy. However, there was a single string connecting them all. Their shadows were absent from their natural places. Instead, they were roaming around my basket. Forms human, and wills mine.