⇒ CHAPTER TWO

"IT'S MY FAULT. It was the wolf", Ruby sighed deeply and ran her hands across her face, as she sat in a cell at the station, where she had on more than one occasion insisted on being guilty for the death of an innocent man. Whereas Wilma failed to see this, or even comprehend the fact that her friend could turn out to be a murderer. Or something else.

"Are you a werewolf?", Wilma chuckled as she lifted her boots onto the desk and turned to face Ruby, who stared back with the most serious expression, which caused Wilma's eyes to widen and her jaw to drop. "Wait— Seriously? Because's that's... awesome", she gasped, surprisingly happy about this unexpected discovery, which caused David to chuckle, but Ruby didn't seem too amused. Looking down, the woman seemed to be struggling with plenty of guilt, and it made Wilma to feel bad for the girl, especially because she believed that even with her flipside, Ruby wouldn't be capable of killing someone.

"Don't worry, Ruby. I strongly support the idea of you being innocent. But you know, this kinda explains why Granny's cake is so supernaturally delicious", Wilma pointed out, waving her finger in the air, and again, David chuckled but Ruby did the opposite and lowered her head. But even if she chose to feel guilt and disgust towards herself, Wilhelmina had already set her mind on proving her otherwise, and from the look of confidence on David's face, she could gather that he was up to the same thing.

Ruby sighed, and looked back up. "You can't tell anyone outside Storybrooke, Wilma. Please", the woman begged, and Wilma nodded in agreement, vowing her silence.

"Don't worry", the brunette smiled, "I'm a bit of a lone wolf, to be honest. No pun intended", directing a wink to Ruby, who finally managed to stifle out some giggles. Truthfully, Wilma could never betray her like that, turn her back on a friend, even if they hadn't known each other for very long. It was true, though, Wilma didn't have friends or people to talk to and share this juicy secret with, but even if she did, she wouldn't spill the beans. She was trust-worthy, and even more importantly, she was kind and a good friend, even if she lacked in that department. But having no friends had only pushed Wilma into making sure she was a good one.

And also, she really liked werewolves.

Before she could offer Ruby any more consolation and comforting words, David showed up by Wilma's side and offered the woman a thick, fancy book she willingly took, yet lifted a confused eyebrow at the Sheriff. Once Upon a Time, the cover said, but it didn't stop Wilma from turning over to David. "What's this?", she questioned curiously as she opened the cover and skimmed over a couple of pages to find lots of beautifully written text and even more stunningly drawn pictures. And yes, she recognized them as fairytales, but she still wasn't sure why David was giving it to her.

"Call it, uh, homework. Now that you know about Ruby, you're kind of... in this stuff. Not in that stuff, but the truth is, Storybrooke is a lot more than you think it is", David explained, resting against the wall and giving a meaningful look to Wilma, who showed a surprised face before glancing down. And after flicking over a few more times, she found another familiar story, with a wolf. And a girl with a red cloak.

Eyes widening, Wilma looked back up at David, and then glanced at Ruby. "Is Ruby— Are you Red Riding Hood? Are you guys fairytale characters?", the girl put the pieces together, and once Ruby had nodded, she turned back to David, who couldn't help but smile slightly at the quick realization Wilma had made.

"You have quite the imagination, Wilma", David pointed out, and the woman shrugged lightly as she continued to observe the book in her hands, which felt a lot more valuable now — now that she knew what it was really about.

"I've read these stories a million times. And on top of that, I've spent a lot of years watching TV. It's always felt kind of lame to admit, but now that I know you're actual fictional characters, I no longer feel stupid when I say I've always been open to believing. You know, supernatural stuff. Magic. All that", Wilma continued, and David nodded, just about to say something but before he could, a man appeared by the doorway and David no longer seemed so warm and cuddly. As the Sheriff strode to the man with angry steps, Wilma looked over to Ruby with a sigh.