⇒ CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"I MAY BE siding with the wrong people, but if you trust me, you will believe me when I say I have a plan. And that no harm will come to you, or your friends." Those were Hook's words to Wilma, after he had spent a fair amount of time comforting her and trying his damnest to cease the flow of her tears — after Wilma had told him about her family and how she knew Neal, which was a tragic backstory, really, but instead of scaring Killian away, her flaws and low points seemed to reel him in all the more. In return, he had shared a story of himself, sailing The Jolly Roger on rather dangerous waters with his crew only to save and bond with a boy named Baelfire. Neal. Turned out, they both had been close to him, which was why it was easy for them to connect and hug it out in the aftermath of his unfair death.

  And as Killian offered Wilhelmina his flask of rum to drown their shared sorrows in, he vowed the woman that he was going to keep her safe, if only he trusted her. Lately, she had found herself doing that a lot — trusting Killian, and putting her faith in him, but she believed that she wasn't making a mistake as she did so. Whereas others doubted him, and continued to paint this image of a villain, always affiliating Killian with evil, Wilma saw the good in him and knew that he wasn't a bad person. So when he asked her to trust him, she did that, with no hesitation whatsoever.

  However, her patience was tested as Killian led Wilhelmina to the mines of Storybrooke, with the woman nervously holding the pirate's only hand and squeezing it tightly. There was some kind of fear rooted deep in Wilma, deep enough to remain there no matter what Killian said or did to calm her nerves, but most of it became replaced with fury as they walked deeper into the mines and discovered his teammates — one of the insane sort, one a heartless murderer.

  Frankly, it took Wilma all of her strength to stay by Killian's side and not attack Tamara, as merely the sight of her made Wilhelmina's blood boil with anger. This woman had taken Neal from her, from the world which desperately needed great people like him, and for that, Wilma hated Tamara, but instead of ripping the woman apart, she didn't speak a single word or move an inch — she did, simply, nothing. And it wasn't easy, but Wilma found comfort in the truth that Tamara would get what she deserved, and whatever the future held for her, it wasn't pretty. Perhaps Wilma was somewhat worried about whatever Greg and Tamara were plotting, but she knew that heroes were destined to win, and she had complete and utter faith in that.

  "What's she doing here?", Tamara spat as soon as she saw Wilma next to Killian, both of the women glaring at each other, but when Tamara threateningly stepped closer to her, Hook stepped forward and hid Wilma behind her back to protect her.

  "Back off", he growled, sending a mad glare to Tamara, who was caught off-guard by the man's protectiveness. "We might have the same goal, but don't think for a second I won't claw your face off with my hook if you lay a single finger on her", Killian threatened, facing Tamara with definite confidence and guts, not afraid to make sure she knew he wasn't to be messed with. Or Wilma, for that matter. Slowly, but surely, Tamara stepped away — though not before directing Wilhelmina a frustrated look, and truthfully, Wilma could barely resist sticking out her tongue as she remained close to Killian, certain that she was safe with him.

  Once the threats were dealt with, their little group walked further into the mines, and as Tamara showed them the brown diamond she had stolen from Regina, Greg grabbed one of the dwarfs' pickaxes. At the moment, Wilma started to grow a little terrified, especially when she was told that the diamond was a trigger that would destroy magic, Storybrooke and all of its residents with it once activated.

  "That's... ambitious", Wilma just muttered, and she could have sworn she saw a hint of a smirk tugging on Killian's lips, but instead of saying anything, his hold on Wilma's hand just tightened a bit.