⇒ CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"YOU KNOW", REGINA chuckled, glancing down as she stood before Wilma. "I once went by the name Wilma. But I was a fool, a coward, and I made mistakes and did things I regret. You're the opposite of that, strong and brave and caring. We— I, have been truly lucky to know you, Wilhelmina", she flashed a sad smile at the brunette, who couldn't help but stare at Regina with disbelief dawning on her and twisting her face into an evidently shocked, shaken expression. Regina, the queen, this — this legend, had used the name Wilma? It felt unbelievable, and made Wilma the slightest bit happy, but at the same time, her smile had the same melancholy as Regina's did — after all, this was goodbye.

Nodding gratefully, for everything, Wilma sniffled. "You too, Regina. I know it might feel impossible now, to say goodbye to Henry, but I believe you'll be happy again. You deserve it", she smiled, taking Regina's hands into her own ones, and gave them a small squeeze, before letting go and allowing the woman to talk to Henry. She assumed much needed to be said, and therefore, she gave the two the peace to properly say goodbye, although, they were running out of time already, and the green smoke was quickly reaching them on the town line, where everyone was to see Emma, Henry and Wilma one last time.

Wilhelmina hated saying goodbye, more than anything. It was so utterly unfair, just when she had discovered these people, and amongst them, happiness. She was reunited with Neal, she found good friends, she even fell in love, and now, it was going be torn away from her, leaving her alone, forced to find another town to live in, other people to bond with. But who could ever compare, who could ever believe the amazing stories she had to share? Frankly, she felt a bit selfish thinking this way — but hadn't she suffered enough? Hadn't she given enough of herself to the world, to deserve a little bit of peace and happiness?

And what about these heroes, and everything they had to give up?

Still, Wilma refused to skip the goodbyes, and instead, she chose to feel the pain. With that in mind, she dived into the arms of Snow and Charming, both of them gladly accepting the woman with a soft, warm embrace full of love and care for her. "You better not find any new best friends", Charming warned with a low voice, and chuckling through her tears, Wilma shook her head, causing her dark curls to bounce against her shoulders.

"I could never", she promised, before looking up at the two with red eyes. "I love you, both of you", Wilma whispered once more, and then pulled the couple into another tight hug, her face buried against David's leather jacket that smelled like him, and her hand tightly holding Mary Margaret's. The two muttered an answer, declaring that they loved her too, but it was barely audible through the bitter tears they shed together. But eventually, Emma stepped in, and Wilma, wiping her tears, realized how painful it had to be for her — these were her parents, after all. Wilma knew a little something about losing parents, and therefore, she only gave Emma a slight squeeze on the shoulder as an act of solace, before throwing herself into another pair of arms, these belonging to Neal.

"Listen, we've been through a lot. But it seems we always end up finding each other, and that, that is why I know this isn't the end, Winnie. We'll see each other again", Neal muttered into her hair, his hand resting on the back of her head as they hugged, both of them tasting the salt of their tears on the tip of their tongues due to the sobs that occasionally split the thick, humid air in half. It hurt, leaving Neal again, driving away again, being without him again, but he was right. Despite everything that had happened, everything that had separated them, they were there — hugging, crying, holding each other, after all this time, and that was why Wilma smiled in the belief that somewhere, someday, they would meet again.

Maybe it was the optimist in her, maybe it was the seer in her.

"I bloody hope so. I know I haven't told  you this very many times, but Neal, I do consider you the closest thing I have to a brother. Getting over Walter... it wasn't easy. But you made it possible. Just know, I love you. You're my family", Wilma sighed, and as she pulled away, she shot Neal a wide smile. And in that moment, she realized, that even though this definitely sucked, at least she got to say those bittersweet goodbyes. At least she had just enough time for final hugs and moments with her loved ones.