⇒ CHAPTER TWELVE

WILMA WASN'T WHAT some called a gun enthusiast, but she couldn't deny that after spending the evening in the woods with David and a handgun that felt perfect in her hand, she was feeling good. She went to sleep with a smile on her face that night, for sure, and this time, there weren't any obnoxiously loud thoughts stopping her from slumbering, either. The memory of the evident disgust on Emma's face when she looked at Wilma had been pushed away, as was the beginning of a kiss with Killian, and nothing bothered Wilma as she fell asleep peacefully.

  However, the next day, Wilma had come to terms with the fact that she couldn't ignore and avoid Killian and whatever had happened, not forever, so she skipped her daily breakfast at Granny's to head over to The Jolly Roger and suggest talking about the tension between her and the pirate.

  Tugging on her green coat due to the chilly wind, Wilma walked towards the invisible ship she had grown rather fond of, a smile pulling her lips upwards as she thought about seeing Killian again — ugh, having a crush was so complicated and so painful, yet at times, so blissful. With confident steps, Wilma approached the spot she remembered The Jolly Roger to rest in, whilst humming an AC/DC song and thinking about what to say to Hook. So far, she had conjured up a plan to ask him out for a drink, perhaps, so they could clear out the air that lingered between them — the man was the kind to never refuse a drink, especially if it happened to be rum.

  Inhaling deeply, Wilma set her foot on where she remembered the steps to reside, but instead of finding the familiar way into the ship, she only looked like a fool attempting to find something invisible. With a nervous chuckle aimed at herself, the woman tried again, again and again, but to no avail — the ship wasn't there. Wilma frowned, but determined to try again, her eyes began to scan the surroundings for something she could use to locate the vessel, and after spotting a rock on the ground, she grabbed it and tossed it in the air. Instead of hitting the ship or landing aboard, the rock flew across the air and fell into the water, confirming that, indeed, The Jolly Roger was gone.

  "Bloody hell", Wilma whispered, splitting the sea air in half with her bitter, surprised expression upon realizing that with the ship gone, its Captain had to be too. And that left Wilma with wide eyes and a cracked heart. Had Killian left because of her? And if not, then why? And why couldn't he say goodbye? And most importantly...

  Would he ever come back?

———

  WILMA COULDN'T LIE — she was profoundly upset and sad due to Killian leaving Storybrooke, but instead of dwelling on the melancholy his absence forced her to feel, the woman decided to find another approach at the matter and handle things differently. Although she already missed Killian, Wilma believed that things happened for a reason and that was why she elected to distract herself, keep her mind off of the man, pretend like her heart wasn't cracking under the pressure he left there. At least she still had cake.

  Things in Storybrooke were going good, though, even if Regina had teamed up with her mother, Cora, and the two were probably plotting some kind of mass destruction, but the town was managing. Mr. Gold had taken Emma and Henry with him to pursue his son, Baelfire, and whilst the three were away, Wilma teamed up with David and Snow to handle whatever they would face back in Storybrooke. Wilma had to admit, her heart sank when she heard that the trio had traveled to New York, where she had lived most of her life, and a desire to return took place in her heart, but so far, Iron Maiden remained parked. Living in Storybrooke wasn't half bad though — Wilma got to celebrate Snow White's birthday.

  The woman even bought Mary Margaret a present, which was a simple yet beautiful necklace — however, the princess didn't accept the gift with a smile. If anything, she seemed rather upset, but David took the time to tell Wilma everything, how Snow's mother had died when the young girl was supposed to be celebrating, and Wilhelmina could only feel sympathy for the woman. The not-so-special day didn't end very gloriously either, it only left Snow hellbent on revenge, and David and Wilma trying to cease the murderous glow within her mad eyes.