Chapter 14

It's been already a month since the beginning of the school year. Riley couldn't stop thinking about the kiss that Nathan gave her on her cheek a month ago. They kept talking like nothing happened but the truth is that Nathan couldn't stop thinking about the kiss either.

Also, the Fall Ball was coming up, and Carolina tried to help Nathan ask Riley to be his date – unless Amanda would ask him first.

*****

The bell was ringing, and Mrs. Stewart asked from Riley to stay behind.

"Well, Riley, I wanted to talk to you about your grades." Mrs. Stewart said.

"My... My grades?" Riley asked worried.

"Yes. I just looked lately at your grades, and comparing it to your grades from your old school and..."

'Please don't be worse, please don't be worse...' Riley hoped.

"I know you're only here for 2 months, but the progress is huge." Mrs. Stewart smiled.

"W-What?"

"Yes! I know that for the past two years in your old school your grades weren't the best, but let's face it – from 60 to 93 in a history test? That's amazing." Mrs. Stewart told her.

"Ok, um... Is there anything else you want to tell me?" Riley asked.

"No, I think that's it." Mrs. Stewart said and Riley took off before the recess will be over.

She went and looked for Nathan and Carolina – but instead she ran into Amanda.

"Hello... Riley."

Riley sighed and said, "What do you want now?"

"Just to know if you already have a date to the Fall Ball!" she faked a smile.

"Um, no." Riley said.

"Oh, that's too bad, since the ball is in 3 days! Well, anyways, you can always come alone." Amanda was still faking a nice attitude, but Riley didn't buy it.

"So who are you going with to the ball?" Riley asked suspiciously.

"Nathan." Amanda said and left.

'He already asked her? Well, I guess I'll be going alone then...' Riley thought and left the hall.

*****

"Hey Riley! We barely got to talk to you today." Carolina told her, Nathan following her.

"Oh, um... Yeah, I just had some things to do." She lied.

"Ok, we were thinking about grabbing a smoothie now. Do you want to join us?" Nathan asked.

"Uh, no thank you. I have to get home for lunch and in the afternoon my mom takes me for shopping, to find a dress for... for the ball." She said.

"Oh, alright. We'll see you tomorrow then." Carolina said and waved as Riley left.

"Something is wrong with her." Carolina said, when Amanda came across them.

"Hi Carolina. Hello Nathan..." she tried to flirt with him.

"So, you know... The ball is in 3 days. How about we'll go together?" she asked.

"Look, Amanda, for the 100th time, he is not-" Carolina was about to tell her to get lost, but then Nathan said something that definitely surprised her.

"Sure, Amanda, I will go with you." He simply said.

"Say what?" Amanda's eyes grew wider when she heard it.