Shit Happens

"You expect me to believe you've only stuck around to keep that lawyer boyfriend of yours safe?" Nevada had me pinned between a wall and himself. I could smell the whiskey on his breath and flinched away as his hot breath hit my face.
"I certainly don't stick around because I like you." I shot back at him, he had been irratating all night and I just wanted to go home.
He chuckled and draped his head on top of my shoulder, I squirmed when his breath tickled my skin. I weakly tried to push him off me but he tightened his grip on my arm and pushed me back into the wall.
"Listen niñita," he'd assigned me this personal nickname the second time I went to a meeting with him. "I never planned on touching your precious little boyfriend. You though, you're a cute girl and I knew you wouldn't have the nerves to say no."
He stood up straight and took a few steps back, I stepped forward so my back was no longer on the wall but I still stood under his drunken gaze.
"You can go, I know you won't tell anyone much. No one pursued the kidnapping thing, thanks for that." He put his hands up to show defeat, "So if you leave now, I'll let you."
I don't know why this set me off so much but my mind started to blur. I launched myself up and wrapped my arms around his neck, locking my lips with his whiskey soaked ones.
He pulled me closer to him by putting his arms around my waist and pushed his tongue past my lips. My head was spinning and the hallway we were in seemed to fade from around us.
I was smacked back to reality by a man walking by us, "Get a room you two."
Nevada let go of me and laughed, wiping his bottom lip with his thumb as I stepped backwards. Realizing what I had done, I dashed out of the situation and found the front door to the apartment building that was previously fading dreamily. What was I thinking? I can't tell anyone about this, especially Rafael.
I got into a cab and directed the driver to Rafael's apartment building. I glanced at my phone screen, Rafael had bought me a new one since my other was held as evidence. It was only 9:17 pm so I don't think he was home.
I let myself in the apartment, after previously beging Nevada to give me my keys back. Rafael was sitting on the couch in his "relaxed lawyer" mode. Tie lossened, shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, vest off to reveal his purple suspenders, hot.
"Rafi, hiya." I sat across the couch from him as he was scanning over a file.
"Regresaste un poco tarde querida," he didn't take his eyes off his papers. He knew I had no clue what he was saying so I assumed whatever he said was rhetorical.
I turned to face him, crossing my legs on the couch and leaning my head against the back of the couch. I closed my eyes, denying myself the right to feel guilty about what happened earlier.
"Carisi's worried about you, he wants you to do something since you passed the bar with flying colors," I opened my eyes, looking at him smiling sincerely in my direction.
I sigh and return the smile, "I just don't know where to start Rafi..."
"Well," He sat up and cleared his throat. "I wanted to ask if you'd like to be my assistant, you have experienced and you're a smart girl."
I shrug, "Isn't Carmen your assistant?"
"Well yes but, you could be a more personal instead of office appointed." He put his file on the table and watched me carefully.
"I uh, yeah. I've been wanted to get out of being cooped up in the house most of the day." My head starts to churn out ideas as to how to avoid seeing Nevada after today. He had already agreed to let me leave, before I crashed my lips into his, fuck. He's gonna hold it against me. Thoughts rolled through my head violently.
"Naomi?" I look up and see Rafael staring at me, "You okay?"
I nod and scoot towards him, laying my head in his lap. "When do I start? Boss."
He combed through my hair with his fingers and smiled down at me, "Tomorrow if you'd like. Can't be wearing jeans and a t-shirt though," He winked and I groaned.
"I don't liiikee fancy clothes." I whined and pulled myself up to sit across his lap.
"Well that sounds like a you problem." He put his hand on the small of my back and kissed my forehead.
I leaned my head on his chest and closed my eyes. I was pushing all that had happened to the back of my head, everything else could wait. I really enjoyed being with Rafael but Nevada had something about him that kept drawing me in.
Rafael was the perfect gentleman and woooo was he good at, ahem. Nevada on the other hand, was intoxicatingly pleasent. Not pleasant as rainbows and gumdrops but he had an eerie air the followed him around. Air that caused everyone to bow to him. Pleasant as in the high you get after your first run at a drug you'd been advised to avoid. I should have avoided him.
I was half asleep when I felt Rafael carry me into the bedroom and tuck me under the giant blanket. I felt safe with him. He'd let me stay with him rent free for this long just because he cared, or something.

-------

I woke up snuggled into Rafael's side, like usual. I glanced over at the clock on the bedside table, 4:32 am.
I snuck out of the bed and searched through my clothes, looking for something sophisticated enough for Rafael's office. I settled on a flowy black high-waisted skirt and white button up. I showered and got dressed, doing light makeup and loose curls in my hair.
I walked out of the bathroom while tucking in my shirt to see a widely grinning Rafael leaning against the kitchen counter with a coffee mug in his hand.
"You look happy, counselor." I walked into the kitchen and helped myself to a cup of coffee from the pot he brewed.
He whistled and scanned my outfit, "Look at youuu. All fancy." He sat his mug on the counter and walked towards the bedroom before shouting out back to me, "Since we're up so early, we can go get breakfast after I shower."
I smiled to myself as I finshed the cup of coffee I made. This man...

-------

After we ate breakfast at a little restaurant, Rafael and I walked the short walk to his office. When we got there, It was around 7:30 and barely anyone was there yet. It was a Thursday so I didn't expect much.
About half way through the day I got a text from Nevada.

Meet me at the pizzeria around the block from your friend's office. 10 minutes.

I gulped and typed in a reply:

I thought we were done Nevada.

I continued on my walk to the café to get Rafael his requested coffee and snack. I walked slightly faster, concerned that someone was watching me. How did he know I was at his office? My phone beeped.

I don't like repeating myself niñita.

I didn't bother replying. Instead, I opened a new message to Rafael.

Hey would you mind if I go to get a quick bite at the little pizzeria around the corner? I promise I'll grab you a slice.

I slipped my phone into my skirt pocket as I entered the café, standing in the back of the line that formed in front of the cashier. Before I got up to the front of the line, Rafael messaged back.

Go ahead cariño, don't bother getting the coffee though. It'll be cold by the time you get back anyways.

I replied with a simple "okay" and left the café, making my way nervously to the pizzeria a few buildings down. When I entered, I was greeted by a scarily happy Nevada from a table in direct sight from the door.
"Niñita! Come, sit." He smiled devilishly and motioned to the seat empty seat in front of him.
He already had a slice of pizza in front of him, topped with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and God only knows what else.
"What do you want, Nevada?" I sat across from him uncomfortablely.
He laughed, "Look at you, all fancy and dressed up. What's the occasion?"
I shifted in my seat and crossed my legs at the ankles, "Please just tell me what you want." It came out more as a squeak than words.
"I want you to stop acting like you're a naïve idiot. I know you're smart niñita, you can do better than that lawyer in a three-piece and suspendeders." He picked up his pizza and took a bite as he watched for my answer.
I opened my mouth to speak but stopped a moment to think. I knew he'd twist what I said if he didn't like it, he was good at that. "Listen Nevada, I," I took a death breath, "I don't want to have any ties to you anymore. I owe you nothing, you have no control over me."
He laughed, putting his pizza back on his plate before leaning forward with his elbows on the table and chin on his hands. "Don't I?"
With that, my stomach knotted and the beep of my phone made me jump. I pulled it out and seen a message from Rafael.

Cariño, I have to head to SVU. If you want to then you can go home.

I smiled up at Nevada before looking down at my phone again.

Okay, I'll put your pizza in the fridge for you when you get home.

When I looked back up after putting my phone away and seen Nevada glaring at me.
"You do me one more favor, I'll leave you alone." He sounded serious but I knew better, or I thought.
I stood to go, "No." I started walking to the door but as I passed him, he stood and pulled me back to him. He had a tight grip on my wrists and my back was to his chest.
"Tonight," His breath ran over my ear and sent chills down my spine. "Meet me here at 10. Una última vez, niña."
With that, he released his grip and I just about ran out of there, not bothering to look back at him. Fuck him.