Ch. 17 - I am the First Mate.

"Usopp, please watch your step. That part can be a little slippery."

"Zoro, please don't sleep out here. You'll catch a cold."

"Luffy, your snack is almost ready. I'll wake you up when it's ready but, please, don't go into the kitchen and whatever you do, do NOT touch the oven!"

"Nami-san, it's okay. Leave it! I can get that."

It was a quiet day out at sea for the pirate group and the only person who seemed to be running around was the girl with a mop in her hand and apron tied around her waist. Emmy was swabbing the deck while keeping a watchful eye on the time. She had some meat pies baking in the oven and having the ship catch fire in the middle of the sea would just be a disaster. Emmy smiled as she worked. After all, she was finally contributing a substantial part to the crew.

Nami set down her empty glass of lemonade at her side and she frowned at Emmy from the top step of the stairs. "Are you sure?" the navigator asked, "I can definitely wash the glass myself."

"No," Emmy rushed, "Please. Let me. I am the First Mate and keeping the ship in peak condition is my duty. I don't want to take you away from navigating the ship."

"I'm not that busy," Nami said but she let the girl have her way. She leaned back on her elbows and crossed her knees while looking up at the clouds, "But okay."

Usopp scratched the tip of his nose and he pointed his wooden sword out to the heavens. "Yosh! Then while you work, let me tell you the story of how I bravely fought-Whaaaa!'

His foot slipped on the wet floorboard and his leg slid straight forward. His other leg was still firmly in place and that is how Usopp found himself doing a perfect split for the first time in his life.

"YOOOOWWWW!" Usopp shrieked in pain as both Luffy and Zoro winced from their napping spots, one on the figurehead and the other against the railing respectively.

"Usopp!" Emmy cried, dropping her mop, and rushing over to help the fallen nakama, "I'm so sorry. I did tell you that part was slippery though."

"Naw, it's okay! Not...your fault," Usopp wheezed in a high and squeaky voice as he fell to his side, his legs trembling and slowly closing back together.

"Can you still call yourself a brave warrior?" Zoro asked with an amused grin while Nami laughed from her seat, "Or is it 'warrior-ess' now?"

"Still there...My family jewels...still there," Usopp gasped.

"Shishishishi," Luffy laughed as he sat up into a cross legged position, "See? This is why I don't run around when Emmy is mopping."

"This is not something laugh about!" Usopp hissed, "This really hurts!"

"Oh no," Emmy said and she chewed on her lip, "The security of the crew is the First Mate's responsibility too...Usopp...let me make this up to you. What is your favorite food? I can try making it."

"I...like fish..." Usopp replied faintly.

"Okay," Emmy said and she put her hands on her hips. She looked over at Nami, "Where can we get fish?"

Nami looked incredulously at the girl. "Don't we have it in the fridge?"

"All Kaya-sama had given us were prepared meats and vegetables." Emmy stiffened at her own words and dashed towards the kitchen. "Ah! Meat! The meat pies!"

"OOH! MEAT! FOOD!" Luffy cheered as he hopped off his seat and ran after his sister. As soon as his foot connected with the floor, however, the rubber boy was sent skidding across the deck, "Watch out! Zoro!"