Ch 82 - I am Defying God's Prophecy

"SANJI!"

The navigator's cry jolted Emmy back to reality but she could only stare numbly as the cook fell before her very eyes. One second the cook was charging at God, accusing the self-proclaimed deity of messing with the first mate, and then in the next second, the cook collapsed to the floor, charred to a crisp.

"N-No," Emmy whispered. Her heart felt like it was being involuntarily compressed to half its size as she watched the navigator and the sniper rush from behind her to drag the cook away from Enel. The first mate's eyes slowly moved up to meet the diety's and she trembled instantly when they came into contact.

A low chuckle escaped Enel's lips. "Do I remind you that much of - what did you call it? - a World Noble?"

"Damn him! He killed Sanji!" Usopp shrieked before Emmy could even process the god's question.

Hearing the sniper's declaration, the first mate drew in a breath and she slammed her eyes shut.

It didn't matter who Enel was or how similar he was to a Celestial Dragon. It didn't even matter if Emmy was scared of him or how she felt in the first place. Emotions did not matter because her nakama came first.

No matter what.

THUMP!

"Eh?!" Usopp and Nami gasped when Emmy's hand balled into a tight fist and she punched herself in the heart.

The pain of the impact superseded the fear that gripped her and she used that feeling to wake herself up. To refocus her mind on what was important. It had been a while since she had to suppress her own extreme fears and emotions to do her job but that didn't mean she couldn't still do it.

I...I am Monkey D. Emmy and I am the first mate of this ship. I am not a slave...and he is not a World Noble...And even if he was...so what?! I will protect this ship. I will protect my nakama! I will do my job!

"Sanji's alive," Emmy said, loosening her fingers and pressing her palm against her heart, simultaneously using her power to feel her bond with the cook, "His heart...it's still beating. Faintly. But it's still beating. He's injured, though, so Nami...Usopp...Take him into the galley and look through Chopper's medical supplies. See what we can use."

Emmy opened her eyes and this time, her stare was just as unyielding as his. "And...as for you, Enel-sama...I ask that you please state your business and then leave. You are not welcome on this ship."

Enel threw back his head and barked out a laugh. "Oh? Got over your fear that quickly? You're an interesting one."

"Enel! If you are here for me, then leave these people out of this." Gan Fall said.

The god's gaze slid over to his predecessor and Enel chuckled. "There's no need to be indignant. It's been so long since we last met," Enel replied smoothly, "Why don't you cheer up a bit, Gan Fall?"

"O-Oy! What did you do to Sanji?!" Usopp asked shakily as he stood up with his knees knocking together, "D-Didn't you hear Emmy? Y-You are not welcome on this ship. I-If you try anything, my 8,000 subordinates won't sit by quietly and E-Emmy is pretty powerful too! She-"

"Feel Feel Repose!"

Enel's eyebrow lifted while he lowered the hand he had started to raise just as the first mate made her move. Everyone else stared wide eyed at Emmy and the sniper that slumped over her in a deep sleep. She lowered him to the ground and had him lie down next to the cook.

"Emmy! Why did you do that?!" Nami demanded.

"Protecting him, of course," Emmy replied.

"How is that protec-"