Ch. 28 - I am Swapping Stories.

"Doctor! Doctor!"

Emmy and Luffy had been lounging away, chatting about everything and nothing at the same time when the sudden bustling of people around them put their conversation to a stop. A cluster of people had gathered in front of her and Luffy. Somewhere in the center of the group, Emmy spotted a familiar tuft of orange hair. Emmy straightened up her back to get a better look. Nami was kneeling down amongst the crowd but Emmy couldn't see what was at her feet.

From the other side of the road, an old man came rushing over. He had on sunglasse and a white doctor's coat. "Gen-san!" he gasped, "What's wrong?"

"Nojiko's been shot!"

Nami's frantic shout made Emmy and Luffy scramble to their feet and run towards the center of the group. Albeit, they came with very different intentions and attitudes as each other.

"Nojiko-san! Where are you hurt?" Emmy asked as she squeezed herself towards the center of the group.

"Oy! Nami! What's up?" Luffy shouted at the same time and with a wide grin, "Need help with anything?"

Naturally, the orange haired girl turned to the more infuriating of the two Monkeys. She grabbed Luffy by the collar. "Why are you still here? This has nothing to do with you! Just leave the island already!" she screamed and then tossed him aside.

There was no stopping Nami as she ran down the road and Emmy had no intention of doing so. She looked over at Luffy, who dusted himself off and pouted at Emmy. "What's her deal?"

Emmy shook her head. "Not now, Luffy," she said and looked down at Nojiko. She was shot in the shoulder and the blood was pouring over her blue tattoo.

Emmy turned to the man who had called for the doctor. It was the man with the pinwheel hat. "Did the bullet go straight through?"

"Eh? What-"

"Did it go straight through?!" Emmy asked.

"Y-Y-Yes, it did," he stammered, "But why are you asking? And who are you?"

"I'm Nami-san's friend and I'm here to help," Emmy said before pulling off her headband and putting her hands on Nojiko. "Feel Feel...Pain Trade."

"A friend of Nami's?" the man asked in disbelief.

Blood bloomed out from Emmy's blue sleeve as Nojiko's wound closed. Emmy winced and her hand automatically went up to cover her new injury as Nojiko sat up in surprise, bringing her own hand to touch her once wounded shoulder.

"What?! What just happened?!" Nojiko gasped.

"I took your wound for you," Emmy said and smiled through gritted teeth, "It's...part of my Devil Fruit power..."

"Emmy!" Luffy came running over to his sister and bounced on the balls of his feet, "Well? Well? Did it heal? Did it heal?"

Emmy removed her hand from her shoulder and rolled up her puffed sleeves for Luffy to see. "What do you think?"

Luffy smeared part of the blood away with his thumb to reveal Emmy's smooth and reformed skin. He grinned at her. "All gone."

Emmy smiled and returned her headband back to her head. Then her eyes met the stunned ones of Nami's older sister. "That's also part of my Devil Fruit power."

"Who are you?!" the man in the pinwheel demanded.

"Like I said, I'm Nami-san's friend," Emmy said and pulled her sleeve back down. She made a mental note to ask for a cup of rice from Sanji. Rubbing rice and water over fabric was always a good way to take out bloodstains, "More importantly, Nojiko-san, who shot you?"