Ch 54 - I am with Family.

A long time ago, and what now felt like another lifetime for Emmy, she had seen a shooting star. It had streaked across the sky and faded in and out of her existence within a heartbeat. It was just a brief moment yet it was enough to make a lasting impression on her. She never forgot it and could only wonder if she'd ever see it again.

She couldn't help but get the same feeling around Ace. He was a ball of blazing light that went from one place to the next. Even though she wished he could stay for as long as possible, she knew that it was not up to her to decide. All she could do was look at him wondrously and hope that he would be nearby for just a bit longer.

Emmy was so preoccupied with Ace's presence that it completely eclipsed the grueling trek through the harsh desert. They had been walking for hours and the sun was not letting up. The usually rambunctious pirate group could hardly make conversation. Their sole focus was to take one step in front of the other without inhaling whatever water was left. There was no idle conversation, no chatter, and the only sounds were that of heavy breathing. Well, one of the only sounds.

"Gehhhhhhhhhh...Gehhhhhhhh," Luffy moaned. He held a walking stick in both hands and he used it to stab into the sand in front of him with every step, "Gehhhhh."

"Stop moaning so much, Luffy," Nami said, "You'll only tire yourself out."

"Gehhhhhh!"

"He's not listening," Zoro grunted while pulling Chopper behind him on a makeshift sled.

"I don't even think he's talking...Those aren't words," Sanji said, who despite the circumstances still managed to be up for a cigarette.

"I can't go on...I can't take hot weather..." Chopper gasped with his tongue rolling out the side of his mouth.

"Vivi-sama, you seem to be doing fairly well," Emmy commented.

"I was born and raised here, so it doesn't bother me much," Vivi said.

"But what's with all these hills?" Usopp complained, "I figured a desert would be more flat."

"Gehhhhhh!"

"This is a very old desert, so some sand dunes here are over 300 meters high," Vivi explained.

"Oh god, it's like climbing a mountain!" Usopp gasped.

"Gehhhhhhhmmmmy," Luffy gasped, "Can I drink my water now?"

"It has been a while since you had your first sip," Emmy said, "I guess it's alright if you take another-"

"Waaaater," Luffy moaned as he adjusted the water barrel strapped to his back and stuck the straw into his mouth.

"Remember, Luffy, you have to conserve it! Remember to keep your sip small," Nami advised.

"Eh?" Luffy asked as his cheeks expanded into giant balloons.

"Don't drink so much!" Nami and Usopp shouted as they both punched Luffy hard in the back of the head.

"Let me have some too!" Usopp seethed, "That was 13 mouthfuls just now!"

"Hold on!" Sanji leapt into the action and pointed a finger right in Usopp's face, "You just had some. I'm next!'

The three boys started to duke it out and they tumbled right down the side of the sand dune.

"Stop fighting! You'll only waste strength!" Vivi cried.

Emmy blinked and she looked at Ace, who didn't even have a sign of sweat on him. "It must be nice having the Flare-Flare Fruit...This heat must not affect you at all."