Cleaned up

Sarah's POV

I finished cleaning up the kitchen while Bucky showered, wiping down the chair and pushing it in before sweeping the floor again to get what I'd missed earlier. As I dumped another dustpan full in the garbage, my phone buzzing caught my attention.

On my way. C u in 10.

I smiled when I saw a reply to the message I'd sent to Natasha Romanoff when I'd went to go get Steve's clippers; I'd thought she'd like to know Bucky had finally showed up since she was the only other person who knew he was still alive.

After washing my hands, I went back into the bedroom to lay out a set of Steve's clothes for Bucky. Since it was unlikely we'd be going anywhere this time of day, I picked gray sweatpants, boxers and a white Under Armor shirt; that was what Steve liked to sleep in, so I figured Bucky probably would, too.

I walked back into the living room in time to see Natasha letting herself in, a plastic bag full of Chinese takeout in one hand. She set it on the coffee table and looked around, cocking her head at me.

You're just in time, I said using sign language so Bucky couldn't hear us. You aren't going to recognize him.

Why?

I gave him a haircut after he shaved. He's in the shower now. I set my phone on the coffee table as well.

Does he know you?

No. He also can't tell himself from Jace in my pictures and he still doesn't remember Steve. I didn't tell him you were coming over either.

Shit. She replied. We've got our work cut out for us. When's Steve get back?

Next week at the very soonest, but more like 2 weeks yet. Think I should call Jace in to help us.?He's at least family.

Already done. I pulled some strings to get him here for the next week. I didn't want you here alone with him.

Great. Thanks, Nat. Not that I can't handle myself, but I'd feel better with Jace here since I know you can't stay.

Fury wants him to join Shield after Steve gets back.

I gaped at her incredulously. You told Fury about him? When?

After we got back from Kiev. He thinks Bucky would be a good partner for Steve if he can pass his psych evaluations.

I started walking past Natasha, not sure what I thought about that yet, but she stopped me with a hand on my arm, her expression more enigmatic than usual; I really wasn't going to like whatever she had to say.

You do know it still might take a little more than you are comfortable with to keep James here until Steve gets back, right?

I stared at her for a long moment. What exactly are you saying?

Give him a reason to stay. He came here for you, not Steve; whatever they did to block his memories of Steve isn't going to go away overnight. He might not ever remember Steve, even after he sees him with his own eyes.

I sighed, bringing a hand up to cover my eyes, knowing what she was saying. While it didn't bother Natasha to use her body like that, it did bother me; this wasn't a mission. I'm really not comfortable with that but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I don't like manipulating him like that.

If you're worried about what Steve will say, don't. You know how much Bucky means to him.

I hope you're right about that, because I feel like I'm cheating on Steve by doing this. Kiev was a one time thing to get him back to Steve. What you're asking -