Keep moving forward

Steve's POV

I watched Bucky dancing with Sarah again from the other side of the dance floor, holding her just a shade closer then necessary and smiling down at her in a way that made my chest ache. I wasn't blind, and after having my eyes opened to things I'd missed seeing in the past; I was painfully aware of the way Bucky looked at her – like she was the love of his life. Thankfully, Natasha had said she'd make sure he was occupied tonight, so we could be alone for the first time in a week.

I smiled at Helen Cho as the song ended, and thanked her for the dance. I let go of her and quickly moved towards Bucky and Sarah before anyone else could ask me to dance. This time was still so strange - I wasn't used to women asking me to dance! I reached them before they'd even separated, putting my arms around the both of them. Sarah smiled, turning into me and putting her arm around my waist, closing off the small circle we made and putting my overactive mind at rest.

"Hey Steve," Bucky said, grinning at me like I was his favorite person, melting some of the coldness from my chest. "I thought you were still dancing."

"I was, I just wanted to find you both before anyone else cornered me. I already danced with all the women I wouldn't dream of passing up – Pepper, Maria, Helen –"

"Darcy too?" Sarah asked, grinning at me.

"Darcy too," I confirmed, knowing she'd probably heard from Darcy already. "At least it was a slow song, but I'm not sure which of us was more relieved the dance was over, me or her." She laughed, but I wasn't kidding. I didn't quite know what to think of her eclectic, outspoken friend a lot of the time.

"You made her night, though. I'm going to hear about it for weeks, babe."

"Better you than me. Besides, you two looked like you were having too much fun." I clapped Bucky on the back as they both laughed.

"You can never have too much fun. There's even a country song about that," Sarah said, grinning.

"I'll take your word on that, doll," I said with a smile. "Can I steal Bucky from you for a while?"

"He's your best friend. Steal away."

"And you're my best girl," I countered, leaning down to give her a quick kiss. "Clint was asking for you, by the way."

"I'd better go see what he wants, then." She reached up to wipe the lipstick mark off my face. "I'll find you both later."

"I'll look forward to it," I said as I steered Bucky to the balcony door, needing a little time to cool off so I didn't act like a jealous fool towards my best friend. Even though I knew that it wasn't the case and as much as I loved my best friend, I was still afraid that he'd take my girl from me.

*                 *                  *

Bucky's POV

Steve kept his arm around my shoulder as we headed for the balcony. It was cool outside, but not overly cold. It felt good after the being in the crowd inside. I took a deep breath, clearing my lungs.

"Thanks for getting me out of there. I don't know how you do it, being surrounded by people all the time," I said, shaking my head. We leaned on the railing, side by side, shoulders touching as we looked over the city. I had to admit, Stark had a great view here.

"I don't like this kind of stuff all the time," he said, smiling at me. "I like having time with you and Sarah, sometimes hanging out with the team. You looked like you needed a break from the noise."

"I did. I'm still not used to this kind of thing."

"Me either, pal. I'm sorry I haven't been able to spend much time with you tonight. You doing okay?"