Forbidden

****Wow - 38k reads already! Please vote/comment and thanks so much for reading!***

James' POV

I woke to see a beautiful redhead holding a gun to my head, her stance and posture familiar. A memory of another dancer suddenly came to me, and I realized I knew this woman; I'd loved her once, many years ago.

"Natalia?" I said, confused. "Natalia Alianova Romanova?"

"Yes, it's been a while, James. Do you remember when we last were together?"

I let go of Peggy and she sat up slowly, moving out of my arms. I didn't dare move to sit up yet, keeping my eyes on the redhead. I thought hard, trying to tug the rest of the memory from the corners of my mind.

"1948. They took me to Siberia; when I was let out again, you were beyond my reach. To come near you would have meant your life, Natalia," I said quietly as my eyes drank in her features; it had been over 60 years since I had last seen her face.

"Because of Alexi."

"Yes. You were married to him...and I was kept from Moscow with...orders." Natalia lowered the gun and slowly sank down on the bed, a firmness to the set of her lips. I sat up, holding her eyes with mine so she could see that I meant every single word. "I was always watched so closely, so I stayed away...I didn't wish for them to punish you further for my...malfunction."

I was the Asset, a weapon, not a human - so when my handlers learned that I was starting to act like a human; they wiped me and reprogrammed me because that was not acceptable. I only knew this because I'd seen my file recently; my latest handler was not as careful as my previous ones at making sure I couldn't access it.

Natalia's eyes fluttered closed briefly, her voice rough with emotion when she finally spoke. "I was still punished, James. They brought me to see you, after they had frozen you...as a warning of what would happen if I didn't comply with their plans for me. It was like you were dead." Her beautiful face showed a deep sorrow, her emerald eyes suspiciously shiny.

"I'm sorry, Natalia." I reached out, taking her hand in my own, unable to stop myself from touching her even though I knew it was forbidden. "It was never my intention to hurt you like that. I knew the risks when I pursued you - but it was worth it to be with you - everything they did to me - was worth it." I raised her hand to my lips and kissed it gently.

"Who controls you now, James? The KGB went down years ago, along with the Kremlin."

"Hydra," I spat out. "I have to report in later today before I can go off grid or they'll be looking for me sooner."

"So you will come to Shield in DC." It wasn't a question - but it wasn't an order, either.

"As long as I can get away; it is easier said than done. Peggy said you'll be here for a couple more days."

"Sarah, James. Her name is Sarah. Peggy Carter is an old woman now; she aged like a normal human. You and I have never been normal."

I looked over at her before looking back at Natalia. "But she looks like Peggy, Natalia, she feels like Peggy, tastes like Peggy. How is that possible?" I reached out my other hand to Peggy, tucking her hair behind her ear and putting a finger under her chin, so she would look at me.

"We don't know. Steve has said those same things, but she really is Sarah, not Peggy."

"I learn something new every day," I swore I heard Peggy mutter, then louder, "Steve will be incredibly happy to see you. I want to be there when you meet him."

"I'd hope you'd be there," I said, smiling at her. "I don't know who Steve is, though. You showed me those pictures, but I don't remember anything about him."