A little unsteady

James' POV

"Sorry, James. It's just me, Sarah," she said quietly. "I didn't mean to wake you." Sarah stayed still until she saw me relax and lower the pistol. She came over to the bed and sat down on the edge. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, I did," I admitted, realizing I slept well when she was with me, and I'd started to worry when I woke up to find the space she'd been in empty and cold. I pulled her back over to me, gently stroking her face. "Where'd you go? I woke up a little bit ago and you were gone." I kissed her lightly and she smiled at me, running her hands through my hair.

"I went for a run. I woke up really early and didn't want to bother you with my restlessness."

I didn't like to think of her running alone at this time of day. If I could track her from her habits, others could as well, but I only said, "I would've went with you, doll. I could use the exercise."

She skimmed her eyes over the well defined muscles of my arms, smirking at me before patting my chest. "I think you'll be okay missing a workout or two, James."

I captured her lips, pulling her close to me. For once, she wasn't resisting what was between us, and I wanted her more than I had ever wanted anyone else, even Natalia. I felt her responding to me, and I suddenly hoped this wasn't just a figment of my imagination; I didn't think my imagination was that good.

As I kissed down her neck, the faintly salty taste of her skin reinforced that this was real, not just another fantasy. I ran my hands lightly over her soft skin, trying not to push her too far while letting her unsure hands slide over me, her very uncertainty turning me on even more while reminding me that she wasn't Peggy - Peggy was never uncertain about anything.

I shifted us so she was laying back on the bed, while I leaned down to kiss her, letting her get used to me as I deepened the kiss. Her hands slid under my shirt and I leaned back momentarily to pull it off and toss it aside before claiming her mouth again. I found the hem of her shirt, working my hand under it, smiling when she jumped at the contact, the cool metal of my cybernetic hand raising goosebumps on her body.

I couldn't figure out how to get her shirt off, so I nipped at her neck. "Take this thing off before I rip it," I growled, plucking at her shirt, exposing the sensitive spot on her collar bone I'd discovered earlier. Her head fell back in pleasure and she reached down and pulled the shirt off before throwing it aside. I reached for her, holding her eyes with my own. "You are so beautiful, doll."

"You're not so bad yourself, James," she grinned.

I kissed her soft skin as I worked my way down her body, her hands in my hair, encouraging me to explore her as I wished until she pulled me back up, claiming my lips.

I settled myself on her, my weight making her sink into the bed. Her eyes flew open and she shoved me back with surprising strength, sitting up and gasping for air, holding one palm out to stop me from reaching for her again. She met my eyes, hers wild with panic. "James, stop – please?"

"What's wrong?" I asked, not sure what had brought this on.

Her voice was a little unsteady when she finally spoke. "I can't do it, James. I thought I could, but I was wrong, I can't!" She drew her knees up in front of her defensively, putting her arms around them.

"I'm sorry I scared you. Forgive me?" I shouldn't have let myself get caught up in how good it felt; she deserved better behavior from me than what she'd seen so far.

She looked at me for a long moment before nodding, then looking away. I didn't know what to do. I wasn't sure what I was reading from her body language, but it wasn't anger. I think I'd have felt better if she showed that - speaking harshly or striking at me; I could handle anger better than this...quiet. I picked her up and shifted her so she was sitting in my lap with her head on my shoulder. She didn't resist, but she didn't relax, either and her eyes stayed closed. I felt a trickle of wet warmth sliding across my bare chest and realized she was crying silently, tears falling without her making a single noise.