Come home

Sarah's POV

I didn't know a heart could hurt so badly until it was clear that James didn't know me again – not the real me. He'd gone back to thinking I was Peggy Carter just when we'd finally started making progress with regaining his memories.

I hoped that this was just temporary because if it was hard on me, it was going to be even harder on Steve, having his best friend gone again when he'd finally adjusted to the way Bucky was now. The Bucky that Steve knew 70 years ago was gone, but he'd still had James - until now.

I watched Steve fleeing from the corner of my eye, not sure I should take my eyes off James right now. I could tell by his stance that the Soldier was still more in charge than James, and I didn't trust the Soldier, not one little bit.

"James, there was an...accident. You were knocked out and apparently lost your memory. Do you understand what I'm telling you?" His face showed only puzzlement. "Your name is Sargent James Buchanan Barnes."

I slipped my hand under the collar of his shirt and fished out a chain, bringing it up so he could see the two small pieces of embossed metal. He studied them briefly, before looking back at me again.

"So I really am James. Who is this Steven G Rogers and why do I wear his name as well?"   

"He's your best friend." James nodded once, accepting that statement. I gestured at the other people in the room, curious to see if his memories of them were affected as well or just certain ones. "James, do you remember Clint Barton?"

He looked at Clint for a long moment before nodding. "The archer, Hawkeye." He glanced at me, a frown on his brow. "Do we work together?"

"Sometimes," Clint said, nodding.

"This is Maria Hill. She's technically in charge of us."

"Miss Hill," James said with a slight smile, shaking the hand Maria held out to him.

"Are you ready to go home?" I asked James as Steve came back in the office, looking a little more like himself.

"Where's home, Peggy?"

"An apartment here in DC. This is Steve Rogers, James. He's also your roommate."

Steve held out his hand to James like they were being introduced for the first time and James took it, shaking it firmly.

"Steve?" James asked, a wrinkle forming on his brow. "I'm sorry, I can't seem to remember anything about you, Steve."

I blinked rapidly, hiding my face from James as Steve evenly replied, "I'm sure it will come back to you. Are you both ready to go?"

"I'm ready," I said, grabbing my keys from my desk, James following my movement with his eyes. "Do you need to grab anything from the locker room?"

"Not tonight," Steve said, shaking his head. "I'll get it later. Good night, Clint, Maria."

"Night," they replied as I followed Steve out of the office, James' human hand catching mine when I came over next to him again.

*          *              *

James' POV

I held onto Peggy's soft, warm hand as we walked down a hallway to an elevator. My surroundings seemed familiar, but I couldn't remember how I knew that. We rode down in a strange, charged silence. I studied Steve while we waited, noticing the way his eyes were drawn to Peggy. She studiously avoided his eyes, keeping her face down and letting her auburn curls hide her from me.

In the reflective glass of the elevator, though, I swore I saw tears running down her cheek. By the time we reached the vehicle and got inside, I was convinced my eyes were playing tricks on me. Her eyes were shiny, but clear; there was no trace of tears on her cheeks.