Proof of life

Steve's POV

"Cap, Jarvis picked up something!" Tony said, coming into the common room where I was working.

"Finally," I sighed in relief. It had been a long frustrating seven days since their trail had gone cold.

"Wherever they Sarah and Barnes were, they're together now. Their trackers are designed to boost the signal when they're close together. It's still faint, but it's there now."

"Do they know that?" I asked the genius even though I knew the answer was probably a negative.

"Probably not. Jarvis – where are we going?"

Siberia, sir. Most likely a secret base of some sort given the location.

"Can you show us the most recent satellite footage?" I asked, my heart in my throat.

It was too much to hope for to get them both back again – and if they were in Siberia, I was certain Bucky was the Winter Soldier again. They would've reactivated that side of him as soon as possible, because otherwise Bucky would have brought her home by now...if he remembered having one.

Compiling image now, Captain.

A fuzzy satellite picture started to clear up on the large screen until a building was just barely visible in the frozen wasteland. They were as far from any form of civilization as you could possibly get and still be on solid land, the compound effortlessly blending into the bleak surroundings.

"Jarvis, tell the team to meet us here – Sigma, too."

Already done. They're on their way, Captain.

"This isn't going to be easy, Tony. Look at the size of this place."

Tony whistled. "Looks like we found the mother lode. Think this is what Barnes meant by 'taken to the edge of the earth and shoved in a freezer?' because I think this is where they froze him at."

"Makes sense," I said. "We've yet to find any cryo equipment at any of the bases we've taken so far and we're only a fraction of the way into Russia."

"Yes, that's it. I didn't know where it was, but I knew what it looked like from the outside," Natasha said, coming up beside me. "They took me there once...to show me James in cryofreeze. I was unconscious for most of the trip, only waking a little bit before we got there."

"Heavily fortified?" I asked, looking over at the redhead.

"Yep. Confusingly laid out, booby trapped – the works. You're going to need Sigma, both Strike teams, any Tactical teams you can get your hands on and as many Special Forces as possible."

"I'm on it," Clint said as he came into the room, having heard the last part.

"Jarvis, can Skye get you blueprints of any kind?" Bruce said, stumbling into the room, yawning and blowing on a cup of coffee.

She's working on it, Dr Banner. Her exact words were 'Try and stop me from helping and I'll give you a virus.' She seemed serious, so I didn't interfere.

"We won't turn down her help," Clint said with a weak chuckle, typing a phone number in and putting it on speaker. "Someone want to tell Fury the good news?"

"Knock yourself out, Katniss." Tony said, sipping his coffee.

"That's a girl's name, Stark," Clint protested. "And I'm better. Director Fury, we found her," he said, his voice becoming serious. "You're on speaker - line secure."

"It's about damn time. Where the hell is she?" Nick asked.

"Siberia, sir. Both of them," Clint said as I stared at the small dots on the map.