Moving day

Sarah's POV

Warm lips on mine woke me up what seemed like minutes later. I forced my eyes open to see Steve leaning over me. "Good afternoon, sleeping beauty. Did you have a nice nap?" he asked, smiling at me and stroking my cheek. I stared into his clear cobalt eyes for a little longer, just taking in his handsome face.

"Hmm." I pulled him down for another kiss before realizing we weren't alone. "Nat, you better not be taking pictures!" I turned my head to glare at the redhead, who only laughed.

"Too late. You look adorable when you sleep all curled up like that."

"Nat!" I groaned.

"You going to lay there all day? We have things to do yet, you know," Natasha prodded.

I sat up slowly and stretched, feeling refreshed. "Hold your horses, already. I'm moving. Did you get the furniture set up how you wanted it?"

"Yup. Everything fit fine," Steve said. "We even made room in the closet and dresser for Bucky's things."

"If you'll hand me the basket, I'll put his things in it," I said, standing up and going over to the closet. It didn't take long to fill the laundry basket and Steve was carrying it back to his place, Natasha going with him. I continued to pull clothes out of the closet until I was sure I had gotten everything. James came in while I was emptying out the drawers I'd cleared out for his things two weeks ago. He stopped just inside the door, eyes wide as he looked around the room.

"Hey, James. I've just about got everything, I think. If I missed something – James, are you all right?" I asked, noticing his expression. I walked over to him and put my arms around him. "What's wrong?"

He didn't answer, just held me tight and buried his face in my hair. I didn't know what had brought this on, but I could feel his heart pounding rapidly, his breathing shallow and fast. I rubbed my hands up and down his back, waiting for him to get control again.

"James, honey, I need you to talk to me. Tell me what you're thinking, babe." I brought one hand up to touch his face, getting him to look at me. "Take a deep breath and talk to me, please." He did as I asked, eyes on mine. I could hear Nat and Steve coming back, but Nat knew to keep Steve back until I got James calmed down. This wasn't the first time this had happened, and it wouldn't be the last. "Please, James? Will you talk to me?"

"You're leaving me," he said quietly. "What did I do wrong?"

"I'm not leaving you, James." I stroked his face gently and he covered my hand with his own. "You'll be right next door and you've got keys to my place."

"Why can't I stay here with you? Like before?"

"James, we talked about this. You need to be with Steve, work on figuring out who you are – "

James kissed me suddenly, one hand tangled in my hair. I tried not to respond to him with limited success on that front. He pulled away when he knew I wasn't going to give in to him, sighing unhappily.

"Two weeks, James. You promised," I said, smiling slightly. "Besides, you're the one leaving me this time."

"Not willingly," he grumbled, but I knew the worst had passed.

"Are you ready to take the rest of your stuff over?" I asked him. "You can show me what you guys figured out."

"Yeah, I can do that."

"Good. Can Nat and Steve come in now?"

"Yeah," he said, letting go of me. Nat came in with the basket, Steve following her and pulling James into a tight hug, talking quietly in his ear. I watched as we loaded the basket with everything I'd laid out; Steve was taking this better than I thought he would for watching James kiss me.