FOUR | LEADERSHIP SKILLS.

fun sized. chapter four.

i'll never be like you..

——

——

STEVEY AND franco were sat together in the cafeteria of the sanctuary. franco was directed across from her, leaning his elbows on the table that separated the two. the girl was slumped in her side of the booth, her fingers nervously played with the straw of her strawberry milkshake that franco made the both of them — he made a mess in the kitchen, but the drinks tasted good, so the she guessed it was worth it.

"what's the matter, steve?" stevey's green eyes eyes flickered upwards to look at her best friend. she saw him raising his eyebrows, giving stevey a questioning look. the girl swallowed a sip of her drink, the taste of strawberries lingered in her mouth whilst she thought.

the girl was sixteen, she was getting older, and she knew her father expected her to take over the sanctuary once he either a; retired, passed the position down onto stevey. or b; died. stevey would love to be the leader, to have everybody looking to her for what to do. it sounded nice, but also frightening and tiresome.

stevey wasn't so sure that she could take on the responsibility. she would have to gain the saviors trust and respect. the teen felt she would be too laid back, and would let too many rules and mistakes slide. that's just how stevey was, she did not care if if jack took the last candy bar without permission, but her father sure did. that was something he was good at, forcing the rules, making sure people stayed in line. stevey couldn't do that, she was too accepting and okay with too many things. she would worry about being everybody's friend, more than being their leader.

"my dad wants me to take over the sanctuary one day, and i don't know if i can do it.." stevey truthfully responded to her friend, watching franco purse his lips and nod his head.

"you don't have to lead exactly like him. you can be more of a human being and less of a killer," franco shrugged a shoulder, grinning when stevey chuckled. franco did love negan, he'd practically raised the boy, considering franco never had a father, it was always just him and his mom. years before the world flipped upside down, negan was constantly helping jenn — franco's mom — out with the boy. taking him to and from school, the teen was also on his and stevey's baseball team, so he was always offering to pick franco up, and take him to the practice.

that left lucille to do most things with stevey. At first, the two girls thought it was odd at how negan would pick up franco without stevey in the car. the man always insisted it was because he felt bad for the boy, he didn't have his own father around. thus also involved franco spending the night most nights, on school nights, too.