Chapter 4

I munched on my nachos, a food that was typically served for lunch—the time of day that used to be enjoyable.  Now, with Nathan at the table, Sarah turned my favorite gossiping time into a gooey lovefest.  She didn’t pay attention to our conversations anymore.  Instead, she gawked over Nathan.  The constant sound of her hand rubbing on the sleeve of his leather jacket and the puckering of their lips every other minute was so nauseating.    

It was so awkward to feel like the third wheel, even with the five of us at our table.  How long had Sarah known me?  Ten years.  How long did she known Nathan?  Two weeks.  She was telling me on the phone the day before about how excited she was for their one-month anniversary coming up in a few weeks, and how she was just so flustered over what to give Nathan.  I guessed that if a guy ever found his way into my life, maybe I’d understand all the ridiculous aspects of having a relationship.  Until then, those two were as sickening as could be. 

At least it wasn’t just the three of us.  My two other friends joined me and the kissy-couple on the plastic seats of our circular table by the window: Maya and Maxi.  Supposedly, they were identical twins, which was hard for me to fathom.  How could two people be an exact copy of each other? 

I heard that on some days, they even dressed the same.  Sarah said that after knowing them since middle school, she still had trouble telling them apart.  I always laughed about that one.  I could tell who was who in a second.  Maya’s voice was a little more low-pitched.  Maxi had the higher, squeaky kind of tone.   

They constantly told me how ironic it was that I, being the person who couldn’t see, was able to tell them apart when nobody else could.  I got a lot of praise for it though, considering how upset they seemed when someone would mistake them.  Maya usually brushed it off.  Maxi would be the one yelling from across the hall that the person who dared to accidentally call her “Maya” had no brain in their head.  It got annoying sometimes to be friends with someone so short-tempered, but I was just grateful that their boyfriends ate in a different lunch period. 

Since Sarah was busy, I leaned over to the twins, anxious to tell them about what happened earlier. 

“You guys won’t believe what happened today,” I whispered.  “This weird guy came up to my locker and said that I was pretty.”    

I heard Maxi start coughing.  Maya, who I was expecting to laugh, stayed silent.  Something wet suddenly nudged the pant leg of my jeans.  I handed Star a plain, circular chip.     

“Now that Maxi almost choked to death,” Maya said, “can you say that one more time?  I’m not sure I heard you right.” 

“We need details,” Maxi said.    

“Okay, so I was at my locker and I dropped my binder.  All of my papers fell out,” I said.  “Then this guy comes over and helps me.  Right when I thought he was going to leave, he told me he liked Star.” 

I heard Maya reach forward and pop open her can of diet soda.  “I’m still waiting for the weird part.” 

“I’m getting to that.”  I paused and chewed on another chip.  “So he tells me he’s new, and I introduced myself.  Instead of telling me his name, he just blurted out ‘you’re really pretty!’”

“That’s the best!” Maxi said, her and Maya roaring with laughter. 

“Who was this guy?  Did you get his name?”  Maya asked. 

“Kurt.”

“Wait, is this guy like, medium-height and blonde?”  Maxi asked.  Seconds later she grunted when Maya slapped her in the arm.  Sometimes she could forget about the whole blindness thing.  “I just wanted to know.  There’s a new guy named Kurt in chemistry with me who is really hot.”